Thread: Footstool for H&M Gordon Glider?

needstuff Guest

Default Footstool for H&M Gordon Glider?

I have a H&M Gordon glider in our living room. Our intent when we bought it was to use it mainly for conversation when guests are over, but then at other times swivel it around to watch our backup TV on those few occasions that I can’t tolerate watching what my wife has on in the den.

But the best laid plans..

My lovely darling oldest child has decided to move back in with us, probably for an extended period. With this extra TV watcher around, I find that I am now frequently using the Gordon to watch TV in the living room. And it turns out that for this purpose, for extended periods, I would be more comfortable using it with a footstool.

I am currently borrowing the footstool that came with my Queen Anne wingchair. But that footstool feels a little high (15”. Vs. 18” seat height on the Gordon).. There is also a rather stark stylistic contrast. The footstool is burgundy leather, tufted, with cabriole legs. Vs the contemporary styling, Capri Navy, no legs, and barely visible bottom ring, of the Gordon.

So the first question of perhaps most general interest would be: what would be a best/good choice footstool to go with a Gordon glider?

The second question of general interest is: Is there a “rule of thumb” for typical footstool height vs. chair seat height?

Then finally, the last issue is: Given that I did not order such footstool together with the glider in the first place, if I order it now,with a top in the same leather, there is a good chance that the leather will not match the leather on the chair too well. Given the variability from one hide to the next. I already found this to be the case when I ordered a leather cover for the glider’s bottom ring, after the fact. But fortunately nobody can see that bottom ring cover too well anyway.

Any suggestions? (Seeking a furniture-based solution, rather than the obvious one which is get rid of lovely darling oldest child)

BTW,the footstool does not have to have leather upholstery, or even be an H&M product. It just has to look like it belongs. And be a better height, preferably.
    Last edited by needstuff; 01-08-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Default Re: Footstool for H&M Gordon Glider?

What you want is a Boot Stool, though there are not many to choose from in the lines I have. H&M makes this one, which is probably the best one they have to go with the Gordon...12" height. You won't get a match in Capri Navy - not happening unless you can tolerate a dye lot variance. So do an alternate leather - maybe something fun like an embossed leather. I have a Boot Stool in my house in my library and did it in a totally different leather for some interest. They are small enough to UPS as well, so no heavy freight costs.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1749
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.