Thread: Custom Queen Anne Server

Default Custom Queen Anne Server

I made this for a customer of mine in Mass. She wanted a QA Server similar to ones made by JL Treharn & Co, but wanted a super-premium board set in the unit and a darker, richer finish. I had John Buchanan make this piece and she took delivery of it yesterday, and sent me photos of it. It met her expectations.

We actually copied the Townsend piece of RI that has a 2 degree splay to the leg and drawer, but my customer wanted a molded top rather than the original tray top as on the original, so we did make that modification at her request. The original in red paint was sold in 2006 for $ 290,000 (last photo on the link below):

http://antiquesandfineart.com/articl...fm?request=632

BTW, that house in the article above has furnishings in it that are among the finest I've ever seen in private residence. The cost of those furnishings is breathtaking. That one windsor chair next to the tea table is one of the rarest American Period windsors made and probably worth $ 40,000. At first, I thought it was the reproduction I have via Warren Chair Works, but in reading the article it says its an original. I can't imagine their contents insurance!

Our reproduction was $ 1,290 + shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	server.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	176  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dr56 Guest

Default It looks beautiful!

That is a beautiful piece, Duane. It is hard to believe it is a reproduction and a great price in comparison. Where in Ohio is this craftsman? I live in NE Ohio.

Diane

John is in the Cincinnati area, he's a 1-man shop. I keep him pretty busy with orders and right now he's restoring a Bonnet Top Secretary and Architectural Corner Cupboard that were ruined in the Katrina Storm for a New Orleans customer of mine (we're having to re-case the lower parts of both $$$$ but they were heavily water-damaged), building a custom welsh sideboard for one of our forum members here on the list, doing a custom blanket chest, and a custom table desk with gallery, as well as a small sideboard for my floor inventory. He's very good, once of the best I've come across.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.