Thread: Advice on Leather Discoloration/Mottling on H&M Sofa

rhymenocerous Guest

Default Advice on Leather Discoloration/Mottling on H&M Sofa

Hi All,

First off, thanks Duane for a great forum. I've been perusing for a while and it's provided a wealth of information while I researched sofas.

I eventually settled on an H&M sofa in Kipling Java. I'm extremely happy with the piece, however I recently noticed that on the piping on certain cushions, there is a mottling of the color (pictures included below). I'm not really sure what to make of it. It looks like it may be abrasion related but I've only been sitting on the couch for 6 months or so and the couch is not abused, so I'm not really sure how that's possible. I typically wipe it down every week or every other week quickly with a damp rag and then wipe dry, but other than that, no eating on the couch, spills, or anything else that I can think of that would cause this. I hope to have the piece for many years, so I'm less worried about the limited nature of the discoloration now, but about it spreading.

I'm interested to get opinions from anyone on the forum who has knowledge of leather in general or this particular hide. Thanks very much in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	400 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	5843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	444 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	5844

Default Re: Advice on Leather Discoloration/Mottling on H&M Sofa

Welt trims take a beating moreso than any other area. A welt is made of strips if leather rolled up tightly to form a joined area between two panels. As such they are the high point and on the edge, so friction from clothing can and does get the best of it. You will see abrasion wear on any leather welt from any maker, some show it more than others. Not much you can do about it other than keeping conditioner on it which will help a little.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Judyg951 Guest

I have the same mottling on my sofa which is also made in one of the Kipling leathers and have been meaning to ask you about it. It is only on one cushion where I usually sit. I rotated the cushions and I will make sure to put conditioner on it. I wonder if the Kipling leathers are more prone to this, or is it just a characteristic of all leathers.
    Last edited by Judyg951; 01-10-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: edited for typo's

Welt trim wear is the # 1 complaint on all leathers. Often H&M will replace the welt trim at no charge to customers on cushion casings that can be removed from the piece and sent in - based on age of the piece. Customer is responsible for shipping costs. This is not automatic, but handled case by case upon inspection.
    Duane Collie

rhymenocerous Guest

Thanks very much for both responses. What you said makes sense. I really don't have a problem with it since it's barely noticeable and if it's normal, which it sounds like it is, then no big deal. What initially concerned me was that I thought the seat would get the most wear and I didn't see this kind of discoloration there, so I thought there might have been something wrong with the piping.

Thanks again both of you for putting my mind at ease about this. First world problems, but still, the couch was kit cheap. Thanks!

rhymenocerous Guest

*wasn't cheap...autocorrect

rhymenocerous Guest

Hi Duane, thanks again for responding and the effort and time you put into this site. It's much appreciated.

Another question for you, for my own knowledge...from what I've learned here an elsewhere there are basically two types of hides - painted and aniline dyed. My understanding is that there's not really anything "on top" of aniline dyed hides (which Kipling Java is) except maybe in the case of a pull-up leather, a waxy topcoat - but from some postings I've read on here also gotten the impression that the wax isn't so much of a topcoat but is impregnated into the leather.

Where this is all going is, when I look at something like the attached picture below (which is from the sofa's matching chair, also in Kipling Java), what is it that I'm seeing that appears to be "rubbed off" of the leather if it's not paint or wax? It appears to be very clearly some additional layer that has been rubbed off as there are clearly defined lines of demarcation where the hide goes from glossy to matte and it looks like some glossy coat almost chipped off.

Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	367 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	5845

Only a few of the nude leathers like Quintessence and Capri have nothing on top, all the other anilines have some form of coating on them - mostly a wax - that can friction wear off if something abrasive enough rubs across it over a period of time. That's what you are seeing on that corner - friction wear. It seems you probably bought these used, and my guess the prior owner didn't use cleaner/conditioner on it, which goes a long ways to help ward that off (it will not prevent it, however). All you can do at this point short of replacing the leather is apply some approved conditioner into that area and rub it in well. It won't fix it, but it will make it look better.
    Duane Collie

rhymenocerous Guest

Thanks for the reply. These were definitely bought new from an authorized dealer in California and are less than a year old, however it's possible during moving into our new house that something unintended happened to the corner - possibly the price for leveraging the help of friends. Sounds like the piping stuff is normal from your prior response.

Do you have any experience with the "Wax On" product from Leather Masters (I know they were previously the preferred leather care vendor for H&M)? It seems you still can find some of their products online and from its description, seems to fit the bill for possibly improving the abrasion related matter on the corner. Thoughts?

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Prod...On__LMWON.aspx