Thread: Leather Grades Married Cover

earlh Guest

Default Leather Grades Married Cover

Hey Duane, once again - lol
    Helping you build the database...

I got this for the most part but let's just make sure. HM has a Town and Country program and BY has a similar program without a formal name. Both programs are married leather programs where Chinese leather is cut and sewn in China for a particular frame then shipped off to HM or BY in kit form.

Here's the question(s): Are these married leathers graded? In other words do they have anything to do with the 1-5 grade one has to choose when ordering "off the hanger (I think that's how you say it.)"? Or is the grade system completely irrelevant when dealing with a married leather? I believe this is the case, which then brings me to my final question. Is the married leather then basically just a grade 1 leather?

Thanks

Default Re: Leather Grades Married Cover

Not necessarily - and that's why you have to look at a leather and see it - touch it. There are some cheap, crummy leathers in married cover and some that are much better than anticipated, it covers the spectrum. For example, the married cover that comes on the Bradington Young 912 series motion pieces is MUCH better than I would have anticipated. By comparison, Hancock and Moore has a leather called 'Alberta' that is uses on some married cover pieces that is so plastic-looking that I refuse to sell it and don't have samples in my store of the hide. To add to the confusion, some "married covers" are not married at all - and just listed on the Town and Country list because H&M wants to put them on Promotion. An examples would be the Rugby Club series which the promotional cover is Weston Cane Burnished (a German leather that is cut and sewn in Hickory NC). In H&M, about 1/3 the leathers listed as 'married cover' are not....they are premium leathers that they simply want to put on promotion on a given frame.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

earlh Guest

Duane,
    So let's quote the BY Dillon 764-95, -75, -25 in grades 1 and 2.
    Here are the quotes for the BY Dillon in married leather:
    764-95: 2058
    764-75: 1985
    764-25: 1260
    Also can we quote BY Sheffield 703-95, -75, -25 in married (if available) and grades 1 and 2.
    And finally let's quote BY Austin 682-95, -25 in married (if available) and grades 1 and 2.
    Thanks (hope this isn't too many quotes for one post; if so focus on Dillon)

I believe I gave you prices for several items on the phone yesterday when you called. I prefer not to use the forum for doing pricing quotes as it causes problems down the road as posts get older and prices change. People also print them out and walk them into other dealers to ask for price matches - which can cause a lot of issues when they ask the manufacturer to clamp down on discounters.
    Duane Collie

earlh Guest

I was under the impression that BY can be quoted in the forum. I thank you for the HM quotes you gave me yesterday, but when all is said and done, HM is just way more than I care to spend on living room furniture. So I have refocused my attention to the lesser expensive BY product. Since you've already quoted the married leather Dillon, could you just quote the Grade 1, 2 for that set? I will call you on the other quotes or you can PM them to me. You can PM me the Dillon quotes too if you'd like. I promise you I will not print and show them to another dealer. I just don't want to bother you on the telephone. Thanks.

I really prefer not to do public quotes when possible, it leads to issues (see the H&M pricing debacle Aug 1st 2013 that was caused by too much pricing being published in print) and that ultimately will impact the price I can see it for to the customers. I will PM you prices. Things are fluid in this business, and my opinion at this time is to keep things low key in order to fly under the radar.
    Duane Collie

earlh Guest

Got the PM. Thanks. Yes I read the thread on HM. Total BS and completely understand your position. Now I think I have all the info I need on Dillon, but I do want to know if the other two I mentioned above 703 and 682 are available in married cover (if not fine) and also on a percentage basis, roughly, how much more less would each be (Grade 1, Grade2). Oh and now I got this: Bentley Place, Grade 1; King Street, Grade 2. Man I've learned a lot about this crap, lol, over the past week. Thank you very much.

703 series has the 9851 married cover
    682 series does not have a married cover

On the 703-95, the difference between MC and GR 1 is $ 421.00. Then add another $ 145 to move up to GR 2 leather.
    Duane Collie