Thread: So how do you like this forum?

Default So how do you like this forum?

We're approaching 400 members now on our forum, and its been up and running now for about 8 months. It seems to be working well, with a good format and plenty of space to post photos and the like. I can't really think of any more forum categories to add to it, or otherwise modify it - and have decided to keep the advertising off it for the foreseeable future (though its tempting to load up with Google ads as they do pay for the space).

We have some regular posting members - which is really nice to have - and I'm curious to get your feedback on things. Does the forum do all the things you want it to? Any suggestions to improve it or alter it?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dr56 Guest

Default Love the forum!

Hi Duane,

I love the forum and if it weren't for the forum I most likely would not be purchasing a Hancock & Moore chair. I would like to see more photos posted by those who purchase items, specifically, leather and H&M but any other brand as well. It's always nice to see a finished product. Otherwise, I think you provide much-needed knowledge on furniture, leather, casegoods, etc. I am now officially addicted to My Furniture Forum and rarely get on the gardenweb or HGTV message boards much anymore, of course, until I need a decorating dilemma worked out! Great job, Duane and thanks for providing us with your wealth of knowledge!

One thing I hope is more members posting and sharing information which takes time.

Also change the timeout on accounts to a longer time. Many times I am typing a message and when I hit submit I have to login in again because of the timeout.

Done! The default timeout value was 900 seconds, or 15 minutes with no activity. I just increased it to 1,800 seconds or 30 minutes of no activity. That should do the trick.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

puhmuckel Guest

Default I just love it

I have learned so much and I just love this forum. Can't wait to get home and get my new sofa and ottoman.

alanak Guest

Default hello

I am new to the forum and couldn't figure out how to post except to reply. I'm sure it's very obvious, but there you go. I love the forum, am finding it VERY helpful, and am soon going to contact Duane for pricing on some pieces I'm interested in. His post, A Hancock & Moore Story has convinced me that this is a company I want to support! I'm hoping i can figure out how to post a photo of my very difficult living room and get some help with furniture arrangement, too. We're STILL replacing things we lost in Hurricane Katrina!!

Quote Originally Posted by alanak View Post
    I am new to the forum and couldn't figure out how to post except to reply. I'm sure it's very obvious, but there you go. I love the forum, am finding it VERY helpful, and am soon going to contact Duane for pricing on some pieces I'm interested in. His post, A Hancock & Moore Story has convinced me that this is a company I want to support! I'm hoping i can figure out how to post a photo of my very difficult living room and get some help with furniture arrangement, too. We're STILL replacing things we lost in Hurricane Katrina!!
    Welcom to the forum, I hope you find answers to all your questions and needs here for Furniture.

I hope I can help with starting your own post/message thread - Best to always login first to the forum and to post a new thread you just need to be in a forum, not a message thread and click new thread. So say you wanted to post a new thread in THE Lobby or Leather just click into there to see the message threads and click the new thread button to start a new post. I'll attach an image of where to find it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newthread.JPG 
Views:	301 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	178  

alanak Guest

Thanks for the help... and the welcome!

ckdc Guest

I've been a forum user mostly for cars and boats since the early 2000's and I like them a lot. I think keeping the forum categories to a minimum until you get a lot of users keeps the conversations more lively.

Pictures always seem to get more people to look at more posts so keep it easy to post them and have some categories of just pictures. A lot of popular threads on other forums are "what do you do" telling what your occupation is and other worst/best decision, most embarrassing, etc. Maybe ask the piece of furniture you most want from a family member or best links for things like antiques and interesting articles that feature H&M etc.

Odd I/O Guest

Default Great Forum!

One of my favourite forums. I think the number of forum categories are just fine right now. As we get more members with more diverse interests and tastes I'm sure there'll be a need to add more categories.

Quote Originally Posted by puhmuckel View Post
    I have learned so much and I just love this forum. Can't wait to get home and get my new sofa and ottoman.
    puhmuckel, when will you receive your sofa? It's the Chancellor (non-tufted version) in Equestrian Claret yes? Please post lots of pictures when it arrives. I'd love to see the back and side.