Thread: If I was a betting man......

Default If I was a betting man......

....I would wager that Hancock & Moore will probably start a Winter Sale on February 3rd giving 5% off to their better dealers (those that pay their bills when due) on all items other than Town & Country. Now, I'm just guessing on that, but you I'll let you know for sure when it arrives in the mail.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: If I was a betting man......

Sounds great! I wonder if HM dealers might pass that on to the customers...

I know at least one dealer that will....
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

Seems like the perfect time of year to buy a bench...

Sale period announcement arrived in today's mail. 5 % off all Hancock & Moore items through March 4, 2014. Town and Country exempted.

Please don't wait until the last couple of days to ask about custom mods/pricing and wait until the last minute to order! Typically the last day of the sale is madness and I can't get to everyone, while ordering during the beginning two weeks is calm and there is plenty of time to talk about options, and check on things. Go early and avoid the stress!
    Duane Collie

earlh Guest

Man, whoa, a whopping 5 percent off. This is huge. Deal of the century here, Duane. I would not expect the dam to break on this one! lol

earlh Guest

Well, alright, I guess it's better than nothing. But, really, that's the best they can do?

I think that we become so jaded by seeing 50% to 70% off sales on furniture that when a true sale event happens along, rather than a 'puffed-up' one, its easy to dismiss it as being 'only 5%'. But let's look at this a bit closer. The Upholstery business has always been one of labor and materials, you can't take too many shortcuts and still have the same product that meets your marketing standard. While I can't say for certain, my guess is that most manufacturers in this business aim for 30 to 35% Gross Profit margin, which probably nets the owners of the company 8% to 14% net profit at the end of the year. When your margins are that slim, even 5% puts a pretty good dent in 'em. This is a cyclic business, and the slowest order times of the year are February and August, which is why H&M posts its sale periods then - to keep the plants and workers busy. They give up some profit margin as a trade off for additional orders. It keeps the workers busy and the factory humming, so its a good trade. Only one of my other suppliers runs an annual sale period in July, and the rest of them abhor the concept and protest mightily when its suggested - which i do.

At the end of the day, its not about discounts and percentages off, but if YOU as a customer feel you have a good value for your dollar spent. Is the $ 3,500 sofa from H&M worth 3x more than the $ 1,159 one from Costco or Value City? Most people think so once they own an H&M product as the longevity of them is well-known. The little sale periods that are offered won't usually be a make or break for the retail customers, but is a gentle little push to get off the fence and save a couple hundred by ordering in that time period, and lot of folks take advantage of it.
    Duane Collie

earlh Guest

Darn it, Duane. I want a rougher, larger push! LOL No, but seriously, I completely understand. I might call you this week for a quote or two.