Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Ordering a H&M Sofa

jswink Guest

Default Special Ordering a H&M Sofa

Duane,
    We have decided to buy the HM City Sofa in Antelope Almond and have made a deposit with the local dealer. We are getting a very fair price and are dealing with an exceptional salesman. We have placed the order with an CFA and have received that back as well. We are almost ready to order. The original order was for the 9844. It is deeper (41 inches) and therefore more comfortable for me than the smaller 9840 (38 inches). My SO insists that the length of the 9844 will not work in the room --post order. So we want the 9840 length with the 9844 depth. Our understanding is that altering the sofa dimensions will be about $300.00. My question is will H&M deepen the lower priced 9840 or will they shorten the higher priced 9844? We would like to save any money that we can on the changes necessary to make the sofa be everything we want it to be. We are already well over the budget we had originally set and this could be a deal breaker. Will our local salesman negotiate for us or does H&M have a set policy on something like this. I did call H&M today, but the CS rep was not able to find out the policy from the office. What has been your experience with situations like this?
    Last edited by jswink; 03-16-2009 at 08:16 PM.

jswik,

You definitely do not want to custom-size a sofa is the goal is to save money. It's expensive to modify a frame because patterns have to be changed, springs re-aligned, custom cushion inserts made and the frame re-engineered. H&M will do it, but you will pay for it. As a guideline take the price you paid for the sofa and multiply it by 1.3 for some idea to custom-depth a 9844. I seriously doubt H&M will do it for $ 300 at retail.

There's really no negotiation with H&M on this. A dealer submits a request for a modification and it takes 2 to 3 days to work the upcharge and its submitted back to the dealer. They can elect to make it or not at that point. Sometimes (but not always) we can get free mods to very easy things like changing a foot on a sofa if its not too difficult to swap them out. But changing depth always carries a charge.

Since you are not in the Town and Country program with a grade 3 leather (Antelope) why not punt on the City sofa and find another model? Look at the 4701 Member sofa which sits deeper than the 9840 and is very comfortable - maintains about the same lines and style as the City but does carry more design features.

Just running a set of numbers in Grade 3 leather on the City units (my prices used for illustrative purposes):

# 9840 $ 3,612
    # 9844 $ 3,815

estimated cost of a custom-depth # 9840 : $ 4,695

# 4701 Sofa in Grade 3 : $ 4,396

That should give you some idea of how things might shake out. They'll talk nice to you at H&M Customer Service if you call them, but this is something that really has to be handled by a dealer - they absolutely will not discuss price with you or policies. The Dealer is H&M's customer, you are the dealer's customer and thats how they view the relationships. They do not want to get caught in the middle with something the dealer may have told you, so they really won't tell you much even if they know the answer.

Good Luck!

Duane
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jswink Guest

Default special order H&M

I did get word back on special ordering the city sofa.
    9840 grade 3 is $3580
    9844 is $3725
    Modified Sofa 83 long and 41 deep is $4205
    The 4701 Sofa you suggested in Grade 3 $4140.

The up charge was $480.00 of the base 9844 sofa price. The gist of my original question was if H&M would charge me $3580 + $480 totaling $4060 since I only wanted to deepen the 9840 sofa. But instead they based the calculation on shortening the 9844 sofa 10 inches at $3725 + $480 totaling$4205. I though perhaps I could save the additional $145 by H&M using the 9840 as there price point. I point all of this out because I originally saw a price tag on the store model 9840 Town and Country of $2400. I am curious to know how many of your customers stick with the Town and Country program and how many go on to buy the more costly leather upgrades. Is this a marketing tool used by most furniture manufacturers?

Its not really a marketing tool to get a customer to upgrade, but its a marketing tool to get sales targeted to a specific price point.

Most internet customers order Town and Country. Most in-store customers order off the program and select the upper tier leathers. Could be the demographics of Wash DC, or perhaps its the opportunity to see and touch all 400 + leathers.
    Duane Collie

mcarey Guest

Default Re: Special Ordering a H&M sofa.

Hi Duane,
    I am spending way too much time trying to find the perfect leather with the just right thickness to tailor the curved cushions on the 1667 Evening Sofa. I am concerned that those cushions are going to require a considerable amount of primping to keep all the dips and curves situated correctly. What would it cost to get basic square back cushions on the Evening Sofa, like the ones shown on the 1666 sofa. I realize that the back of the sofa is also curved, so this may get more involved (and costly). Also, do you happen to know what leather is shown on the 1667 Evening sofa on the H&M site?
    Thanks-

Default Re: Special Ordering a H&M sofa.

Any loose cushion back is going to have some void in it, no matter what the shape. You may want to shop a tightback sofa instead (adding to the confusion!). Otherwise we have the option to order the seat backs on the Evening Sofa as 'extra full' and the casing will then be overstuffed, taking out some of that void but adding crown and fullness to the casings.

Get a Kodiak, rather than modifying a Evening Sofa. Cost you much less!

Not sure on that leather shown.....
    Duane Collie

mcarey Guest

Default Re: Special Ordering a H&M Sofa

Hi Duane,
    The Kodiak looks too similar to my current sofa in the arm and nail trim at the base and I am ready for a style change. I continue to like the overall look of the Evening, especially the larger rolled arm, but I still have major concerns about the attention that the curved back cushions will require. Before I go back to square one in my hunt for a sofa, (ugh!) can you please find out what the actual cost would be to order the back straight with square cushions, like the back/cushions that are shown on the Evening sectional?

Thanks- Marianne

Hi Marianne.

I put a request in to price it out that way, but I can tell you right now its going to be expensive because it requires a rebuild of the entire rear vertical frame. The springs have to be re-set, and then new cushion cores cut. In essence, you are building a new style. They may decline to do it rather than give you an outrageous price to build it.

I still believe that most of your concerns with the rear cushion shape and any void can be adequately taken care of by specifying Q31 cores for the back (Extra Full).

If you really want the back of the sofa to stay crisp, then go with the tight back sofa or one that such as the # 1847 Downes.
    Duane Collie

mcarey Guest

Hi Duane,
    I am leaning towards the Kipling Java for the sofa and was considering the recliner in the Kipling Whiskey. I do not have a sample of that one, but have seen it on your recliner and other pieces in the photo resource section of the forum and think it might work with the Java. Should I wait to get the actual cutting of the Whiskey when I place my order or request a sample in advance? (Of course we are waiting to hear back from H&M on the customization of the Evening so that we can figure which way we will go with this). I am so ready to see this little project behind me! I did go to look locally at the #9840 City and continue to have some questions and concerns about how the larger #9844 City would differ in terms of comfort. *It would be helpful if the H&M site would provide inside dimensions from seat to top of the back cushion. I noticed that the velcro on the back cushion of the 9840 required positioning the cushion at an angled in order to engage the velcro with the back of the sofa. It really doesn't offer much support at the back of the neck unless you slouch down. I thought that was odd to have to angle the cushion in that way. Have you personally every actually sat on the 9844? If so, does it sit "larger" like the Evening or September?

Hi Marianne,
    I do like Kipling - obviously since I have it on my Sadler recliner at home. You can order either a general sample (colors do vary in this leather) or place an order and get a cutting for approval. Cuttings for approval do slow your order down by at least 4 weeks, and if you turn down the color there is not another batch to sample from - so that puts you back to square 1 in choosing another leather. Personally I only recommend cuttings for approval to match existing items (such as buying a matching ottoman to a chair already owned).

H&M did call me back and said it was only $ 105 to put square box cushions on the back of the Evening, but I can just about guarantee that means ONLY the cushions and the back would still have the serpentine line to it, and that's not what you would want. So I am having them re-quote it to build a straight-line back edge. Will be a few more days until I hear back on that.

I don't find that the City Series (either model) is as deep and tall or comfortable as the Evening or September group, but that's a subjective evaluation.
    Duane Collie