Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireplace and Dining Table

Cookie Guest

Default Fireplace and Dining Table

I want to add a powerful gas fireplace somewhere near my kitchen during the upcoming remodel. I am working on the new layout, and trying to find out if I should avoid placing the fireplace right next to a dining table.

I know you are not supposed to place a grand piano next to a fireplace, but will a wood dining table be okay, if the end of the table is 4' away from the front glass panel of the fireplace? Say the table is made of solid walnut or maple, and has a nice finish...

I haven't purchased the table or the fireplace yet, so things are still flexible. Thank you!
    Last edited by Cookie; 02-13-2014 at 04:15 PM.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Default Re: Fireplace and Dining Table

What BTU is the fireplace? Does it have options of blower placement? Does it have a thermostate? The Mendoza I put in a few years ago, is rated 45,000 btu, direct vent. The front has a double glass door. The front of this fireplace is about 4 feet directly across from a wood coffee table and another 18 or so inches the front of a leather sofa. A natural gas fireplace that can be operated manually when the electricity goes off is a lifesaver. We have used it for hours at a time and have never had a problem with placement of furniture.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

ANOTHER SUGGESTION ON FIREPLACE: If the fireplace is to be installed in your dining area, I could suggest firebox placement should be high enough on the wall that the fire can be seen when sitting at the dining table.

Cookie Guest

My research says Mendota FV41 (BTU 40,000) or FV46 (BTU 45,500) will probably be my best bet in terms of heat, efficiency, and viewing area. Both are gas, direct vent. I think they have a thermostat option, but I am not sure about the blower placement.

The gas fireplace will be heavily used during weekends and week nights, as I always feel cold. I was worried that the intense heat from the fireplace might bake the finish off the nearby table, or cause the wood to bend and warp, or something like that.

Below is a layout of the area -- maybe you could provide some additional insights. The wall for the gas fireplace used to be an exterior wall, so hopefully there won't be any problem with vent pipe installation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen_layout_draft_0.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	6004
    Last edited by Cookie; 02-13-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Cookie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MRSSQRDAWAY View Post
    ANOTHER SUGGESTION ON FIREPLACE: If the fireplace is to be installed in your dining area, I could suggest firebox placement should be high enough on the wall that the fire can be seen when sitting at the dining table.
    That's a very good idea. Thank you for the suggestion!

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Sorry I spelled the name wrong! That is the brand I have. We have never had any trouble with it. I did have to fight for the decorative brass overlay. It adds so much . At the time I bought the Mendota they offered about a dozen different styles.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

FIREPLACE INSTALLATION: The company that is selling you the Mendota is suppose to have installers that are trained by the manufacturer. I think the Mendota is manufactured by Johnson Furnace Company.
    I have 3 foot limestone walls. The installers were told and arrived with all the equipment to cut thru the stone. The exhaust system they installed on the outside is only about a foot square and extends from the stone about 8 inches. Not noticeable at all. There has to be a gas line run with a cut off not only inside the fireplace but we have a gasline cut off to the fireplace in the basement also.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

FIREPLACE INSTALLATION : Are you having fireplace installed on an exterior wall... most simple install... inside wall will need exhaust thru the roof
    two story house..... more complicated..

Cookie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MRSSQRDAWAY View Post
    FIREPLACE INSTALLATION : Are you having fireplace installed on an exterior wall... most simple install... inside wall will need exhaust thru the roof
    two story house..... more complicated..
    The wall I want the fireplace to be was an exterior wall. The previous owner enclosed a deck so that wall became an interior wall (but the wall thickness didn't change). I think the pipe might be able to run horizontally inside that wall, then straight out through the north wall?

There is a local fireplace store that sells and installs Mendota fireplaces. I am going to have them come out to take a look at my space, and see what options I have.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

The pipe that is should be a double wall one section to bring in air for combustion, second to exhaust , this pipe should also have collars to protect all your combustible wall material from any heat. Also there sould be no windows or doors on the outside of your house.close to where the exhaust exits. The exterior cap should be designed to prevent wind or rain or birds from coming in.It is very important to have as much knowledge on the install as the installer.. It is your home, your safety and comfort ... and your money.