Thread: Glider/rocker recliner combination and evaluation?

inclinedtorecline Guest

Default Glider/rocker recliner combination and evaluation?

Hi,

I am new to trying to find better quality furniture, and I've been doing a fair amount of reading. We are currently on the market for a rocker or a glider recliner (will soon be having a baby), and I would like the back of the recliner to be 39" or taller (I'm 6'2", and my wife is 5'6"). We currently have a recliner that is 39" tall, and another inch or two would be great for head support (but not required). I have studied the forum postings and am interested in Hancock and Moore and Taylor King. For HM, the issue is that it is not clear which chairs both recline and provide a rocking or gliding motion. The HM website lists a variety of swivel chairs, but it is not clear which ones also recline (if they do at all). For both brands, do the gliding motion perform as one would hope and be good for getting a baby to sleep? I've tried out gliding recliners of lower quality brands in local stores, but I didn't want to mistakenly assume that the motion would be similar across all brands? Of those chairs that do seem to both glide and recline, many are a wall hugger chair. While I understand the functionality of a wall hugger recliner, does it affect the comfort of the chair? There aren't really good knowledgeable people to ask near me, and I was hoping that someone may know about these chairs?

Also, are there any recommendations given these requirements? We aren't really tied to fabric or leather, although we have considered that some fabrics may be difficult to keep clean. For now, I have found all 39" and taller models of the TK glider chairs that I believe to also recline (Ambiance, Lankton, Morton). I can't yet identify any HM chairs that would fit these requirements. Would there be any particular reason that HM would not make glider or rocker chairs (other than that there may not be as large of a market)?

Thank you,
    Nate

Default Re: Glider/rocker recliner combination and evaluation?

It's a bit confusing when you try to find out which models have Swivel Gliders in them, the suffix is the - SG on the end and sometimes you will see that mentioned just beyond the dimensional measurements. In H&M all recliners that *CAN* have a swivel / glider base will have a 3xxx prefix and they will all be Wall Huggers. The most popular one, by far, is the Austin. In most all the Wall Hugger units you can configure as a Swivel Glider (note that you have to have the swivel in order to get the glider). Yes, its a smooth glide motion, likely to put Mom or Dad to sleep faster than the baby! I would recommend if you go this route, upgrade to a power recline unit. Wall Huggers are noisy in manual mode, and hard to close (especially for women) as they require a hard kick to overcome the spring action. Certainly a baby would wake up closing a manual one. With power, its smooth and very quiet + easy to operate.

You can go fabric or leather, though the cover longevity on leather is 4x that of fabric on average. Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.