Thread: Identification assistance needed- Antique S. American red mahogany tables

laBourge Guest

Default Identification assistance needed- Antique S. American red mahogany tables

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	6026Click image for larger version. 

Views:	294 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	6025Click image for larger version. 

Views:	297 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	6024

Hi this is my first post... looking fwd to reading all of your responses.

I was hoping someone would recognize and perhaps be able to shed some knowledge about these tables. I purchased them from a furniture dealer who claimed they were made in Argentina, sometime in the 1940s or 50s. He also said the tables are made of antique red mahogany. That's basically all the information I was told.

The tables do have intricate rose inlay on the top as well as wonderful wood carving designs on the pedestal. The tables are quite beautiful, I will say.

Dimensions: 68"(l) x 42" (w) x 30" (h)

MY QUESTIONS:

-Does anyone recognize these tables, and/or provide any kind information on them ?
    -can anyone validate our discredit what this dealer has told me.... are these tables in fact made of red mahogany? If not, then what type of wood might it be?
    -what would be a fair estimated value of these tables?
    -should there be markings of some type on table left by the manufacture?

I have little to no knowledge about furniture. Also, I wouldn't be able to tell apart red mahogany wood from that of a chick tree, SO I CERTAINLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP Y'ALL CAN PROVIDE IN DETERMINING FACTS ABOUT THESE TABLES.

Thanks again

Default Re: Identification assistance needed- Antique S. American red mahogany tables

Interesting Tables! I can't tell anything from the photos other than they have a pretty top. To do assessment photos they have to be done with a real camera (not a cell phone) and show all the various angles including underneath (and joinery details). It takes a bit more than snapshots....sorry. Tops appear to be veneer, but I can't really tell.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

laBourge Guest

Default Re: Identification assistance needed- Antique S. American red mahogany tables

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Interesting Tables! I can't tell anything from the photos other than they have a pretty top. To do assessment photos they have to be done with a real camera (not a cell phone) and show all the various angles including underneath (and joinery details). It takes a bit more than snapshots....sorry. Tops appear to be veneer, but I can't really tell.
    I will post additional photos that are of better quality very soon. Thank you.