Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Town & Country H&M

asaasa3333 Guest

Default Town & Country H&M

I had a few questions about the T&C program - I wasn't sure who to ask and so I did a search and found a few posts about the past programs. I just didn't seem to get a good idea of how this program works. So I thought I would post some questions I had to see if Duane or anyone else can help us with such info:

1. I called for a quote of the Rugby (5261) in Weston Cane B and found that it was on a T&C Special. It made me wonder whether the T&C is tied to a "leather", to a "frame" or to a combination of both. I ask this because I saw and sat on a Journal in Document Tobacco which was also T&C and I did not want to get that. So, is it possible to get a Journal in Weston Cane or a Rugby in Document Tobacco (not that I want to) with a T&C pricing?

2. Is there someplace online where we can look up what leathers would qualify for the T&C program?

3. Are there any other GR 3 or 4 leathers on T&C?

4. Do these change over time - if Weston Cane is in T&C this year, would it be discontinued next year from such a program? Not that anyone would know for sure but has there been any past precedent for this?

Not surprisingly (to me) the GR I leather or GR II leather prices (with a sale) end up being lesser than the T&C special on higher grade leathers but not by much. So, it sounds like H&M is making us buy the better stuff in the first place with the T&C and then making that even better by promoting some of these better leathers. More information on this would really be helpful! So, thanks in advance for anyone who has any information about this.

Default Re: Town & Country H&M

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...motion-Program

asaasa3333, The above thread will take you to a post on this forum about the T&C Program, and there are likely other threads about it as well. You and search under "T&C" and or "Town and Country" in the search box and see how many there are. With regard to your questions...

The T&C Program has specific requirements that an H&M Dealer must subscribe to in order to offer furniture within this Program. The Program is not leather only. The specific pieces or models are indeed tied to specific covers, and both the pieces and the covers do indeed change over time. There are multiple grades and/or types of leathers in the Program dependent on the pieces they are tied to. The T&C furniture Models and Covers are offered at a substantially reduced price from the same Model with other non-T&C covers. These "tied" Models and Covers may or may-not actually represent better "Value" as a buyer may want a softer Leather or a Leather color not offered within the Program at a given point in time. "Protected" leathers are tied to some Models and "Unprotected" covers are tied to other pieces. Often companion pieces such as a Sofa a Chair and an Ottoman will be available within the T&C Program in the same Covers. I first learned of this Program via this Forum as I fell in love with the Rugby in the Western Cane Burnished "unprotected" cover. Various Dealers do not necessarily offer T&C Program pieces at the same price any more than they offer non-T&C pieces at the same price. Duane can answer any questions you have about this Program. He also can provide specific quotes on any H&M pieces T&C and/or non-T&C.

I initially had looked at the Austin Tilt Back High Back chair and ottoman that was offered by my local distributor in the T&C Program in Document Tobacco, but after alittle research here on the forum and elsewhere I ultimately chose a much better grade 2 Atticus Sable leather. Yes it did cost more but as is the usual case, you get what you pay for.

morrison2951, I appreciate your point, and agree that given the number of years one lives with their choice, it can be well worth the extra cost. It is also important to note that many, if not most of the T&C leather covers are very nice, and certainly can offer the same overall durability as more costly leathers. For some buyers the T&C selection can get them into H&M pieces, where otherwise they would not be in a position to afford them. Duane has made it clear over many posts which T&C leather choices he is not fond of and in some instances would not have in his store; however even some of those leather covers are actually desirable to many buyers. Duane has spent a life-time around all the leathers and knows what he appreciates against a back-drop of context most of us don't have. He has said that some of the T&C leather choices look like plastic to him ...we should not forget all the pieces sold each year that indeed are plastic made to look like leather. H&M's worst choices (in some people's view) are not plastic but instead real leather with all the longevity that comes with well-maintained leather.

asaasa3333 Guest

Thank you WISEJD and MORRISON2951 for the comments. I saw that link earlier but since it said 2013, I was not sure if that was active. Sounds like it is and it helps to have the whole set of options that are available in this program. As for the questions I had asked, here is what I gather from the responses:

1) Yes - the program is tied to the sofa and the cover combination. At this time, Journey in WC burnished is not on a special pricing but Journey in Document is just as Rugby in document is not on a special pricing but Rugby in WC burnished is.

To further clarify - Rugby in Document Tobacco or any GR I leather such as Columbia may still be a lot less expensive than Rugby in WCB (T&C). What you get with T&C is that if you like Weston Cane burnished (GR III leather) and if you like Rugby, you are better off getting that combo than getting Rugby in say Buckingham Walnut Burnished or any other GR III leathers. Similarly with Journey and Document Tobacco compared with other GR II leathers.

2) Link posted above! Thanks to wisejd and dcollie for that.

3) Looks like Buckingham Walnut Burnished is a GR 3 which is available with some particular sofa/chair - look up the link above.

4) Things change - as if we did not already know that...

The Town & Country program goes through a major revision in late June, every year. At that time prices can change and items added/dropped. This is not an automatic program for H&M Dealers, it has to be 'bought into' and dealers have to quality to get it, so you may not see it locally if your dealer is small in the brand.

There is a mix of product and leather in the program, not everything is a 'value' leather. The bulk of the leathers offered are Finished or Painted hides from Chinese Tanneries, but these are the exceptions and most are GR 3 anilines from Italian tanneries:

* Weston Cane Burnished (Germany)
    * Hand Antiqued Saddle
    * Buckingham Walnut Burnished
    * Tuscany Harness
    * Tiburon
    * Heirloom Chestnut / Tobacco
    * Gaucho Mocha Burnished
    * Cameo Tan Burnished
    * Native / Dark Green/ Butternut
    * Ryan Chestnut/ Moss (S. American)
    * Yardley Tobacco (S. American)

So you can get some desirable leathers in selected T&C frames in those leathers, above.

I
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

waterstar Guest

I am jumping onto this discussion to find some help in selecting a smaller size reclining sofa and reclining love seat. drcollie, I had read in one or your old posts that you recommended the HM Austin line, but I don't think it is made anymore. I also saw in that post that you recommended Flexsteel. Would you still recommend Flexsteel or has their manufacturing process changed? Thanks

The H&M website still shows the Austin Reclining Sofa, so I would think it is available. Duane has written quite a number of more recent posts that challenges the Flexsteel attention to detail, particularly on the sewing ...but also has mentioned the Flexsteel spring architecture as problematic.

asaasa3333 Guest

To take this further - here are some examples by grade:

GR II
    * Ryan Chestnut/ Moss (S. American) - Gordon Chair, Ascot Chair
    * Yardley Tobacco (S. American) - Exeter Chairs

GR III
    * Weston Cane Burnished (Germany)- Author Chair and the Rugby Collection, McNary Chair and sofa,
    * Hand Antiqued Saddle -Summerfield Chair, Springfield Lounger
    * Buckingham Walnut Burnished - Fireplace Chair
    * Tuscany Harness - Taos Bar Stool
    * Tiburon - Roy Lounger, McCartney Sofa, Hadley, Scottsdale, Bristol, Chester chairs,
    * Cameo Tan Burnished - Rhodes Chair - brown burnished on Evans Sofa, Princeton Chair
    * Native / Dark Green/ Butternut - Malmo Chair, Deep Down Sofa
    * Gaucho Mocha Burnished - Cross Moore Chair, Weymuth Recliner

GR IV
    * Heirloom Chestnut / Tobacco - Patriot Chair, Chancellor Tufted Sofa, Balfour Chair

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The Town & Country program goes through a major revision in late June, every year. At that time prices can change and items added/dropped. This is not an automatic program for H&M Dealers, it has to be 'bought into' and dealers have to quality to get it, so you may not see it locally if your dealer is small in the brand.

There is a mix of product and leather in the program, not everything is a 'value' leather. The bulk of the leathers offered are Finished or Painted hides from Chinese Tanneries, but these are the exceptions and most are GR 3 anilines from Italian tanneries:

* Weston Cane Burnished (Germany)
    * Hand Antiqued Saddle
    * Buckingham Walnut Burnished
    * Tuscany Harness
    * Tiburon
    * Heirloom Chestnut / Tobacco
    * Gaucho Mocha Burnished
    * Cameo Tan Burnished
    * Native / Dark Green/ Butternut
    * Ryan Chestnut/ Moss (S. American)
    * Yardley Tobacco (S. American)

So you can get some desirable leathers in selected T&C frames in those leathers, above.

I

waterstar Guest

Thanks for your reply. Yes, they show the sofa, but not the reclining love seat. I did not find his posts on Flexsteel, so THANKS for letting me know. It confirms my thoughts and I won't be buying that brand.
    I see some brands that are for smaller rooms....but assume they don't have the quality for which I am looking.