Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a little advice

ucp113 Guest

Default Need a little advice

I have been reading this forum and wish to thank you for the knowledge you have shared. I had not even heard of the higher end brands you mentioned. I have only found one dealer within 50 miles that sells the higher end stuff you do. My wife and I were originally looking for a sleeper sofa since we do not have a spare guest room and have no idea which direction to even look. I did click on one of your links and it is not a sleeper sofa but seems to be longer than others. IT is the Council Mayfair sofa. Can you advise me either way? I need cloth not leather and budget is limited. I cannot afford a $3000 sofa. I would like to stay away from the lay z boy, lane, basset cheap end stuff and go towards mid to upper mid range. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Need a little advice

I'm not a real big fan of sleeper sofas, in my opinion you get a lousy sofa and a lousy bed when you buy one. A sleeper sofa is nothing more than an upholstered frame around a metal bed unit that has a fold-up mattress in it. You give up all the fantastic 8-way suspension that makes a premium piece - a premium piece. The seat cushions sit atop the bed frame - that's your suspension. So there is really no need to buy a high-end sleeper, I think its a waste of money to do so. Just get a mediocre one because you're getting the same thing as in the high end one at the end of the day. As for sleep sofa bedding, get the Air Dream mattresses that pump up with a little motor, they are much better than the miserable little foam ones that come standard.

I think a better plan is to have a regular, stationary sofa and then an air mattress that can go on the floor when needed, but that's just me.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

vbnet Guest

I second. I've been down this road before and the air mattresses are much more comfortable than a sofa bed imo.

ucp113 Guest

Thank you for the advice. As I stated I cannot afford $3000 for a premium sofa so is there a brand you would recommend I look at that is cloth? I looked on line and the Council Mayfair sofa looked to be a bit longer than the others but there was no pricing. As I stated I have found only one dealer withing 50 miles that sells the high end furniture you mentioned. Again thank you in advance. I am getting a nice education on here.

goldem Guest

Though it may get stomped on by some of the folks here, I will say my experience with Flexsteel has been good. If you dig through the posts by Duane regarding the brand, it's more utilitarian than the brands he carries but it's serviceable.

When I was shopping for a sofa in a lower traffic area (which has since become more used with the addition of the sofa), I followed what I read from Duane and focused on domestic.

Skip the China-imported Latitudes line (which I suspect is where the vast majority of problems and complaints with Flexsteel comes from as it's everywhere and seems to be what I see most Flexsteel dealers displaying) and ask the dealer to find out where the piece will come from (or check the tag if it's a floor model). Flexsteel has facilities in Juarez and while I don't know of any demonstrative proof the quality of those pieces is less, I'd personally stick to domestic.

Below are some pictures of my sofa's frame which appears to be a Journal clone on the outside. It's surely not something I envision getting passed down through the ages as a testament to American craftsmanship but for what I was looking for at the time I think it's reasonable. It's also heavy enough to be uncomfortable while supporting with one arm and trying to photograph with a phone .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000654.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	6041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000656.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	6042

You'll notice it's plywood which I believe Duane has said is standard practice for most manufacturers who aren't top tier frame works. The joint is glued and stapled, not screwed (that I can see, to a trained eye there's probably more of a story). Yes, the frame does have some flex to it when I lift the corner. However, depending on your price range I think it's a reasonable piece of furniture. I paid about $1600 before tax in a non-standard cover (yes, that is an upcharge though you can get the common/married cover for a chunk less).

I bring up the cover because of your fabric criteria. The cover's a proprietary fabric-recycled leather cover which feels different than the stuff I tried at the Furniture-Mart places (Ashley, etc.), is soft yet supportive to the touch and my pets have not been able to put a dent in it so far. It's not pet-proof as that is impossible short of concrete or stainless steel, but the pre-distressed look and feel has held up to my flashlight and pressure tests after seeing the usual cat-leaps-to-a-distant-place where other fabric has slightly frayed, and the material also seems to discourage kneading/scratching to the same extent microfiber does.

My biggest suggestion is if you decide to consider something like Flexsteel is to be sure you know who you are buying from. If you can find someone even close to Duane's caliber in terms of knowledge about their product and who actually cares and has a stake in your satisfaction as a customer, you have a much better chance of any disputes getting worked out because as Duane has said time and again: You are the customer of the dealer and the dealer is the customer of the manufacturer. If the dealer's working with you, any issues which come up with manufacturer's work have a much better chance of getting resolved to a reasonable level instead of your voice getting thrown into the internet wasteland or a note in the BBB's stack of complaints.

ucp113 Guest

Thank you about the information about flexsteel. I did look at the very few I could find on display here and honestly was not impressed because they were all over $2000. I figured for that money I should be able to get something of better quality. I really would like to know what sofas and quality I can expect for about $2000. I was told by a friend to look at Hallagan sofas but know nothing about them. IF anyone knows anything about them I would appreciate it. Duane I clicked on the links of the brands you carry and that gave me a good idea of the styles, builds, etc of higher end pieces. Thank you. IF there is anything you would suggest in that price range I would appreciate it.

I think one of the very best 'bangs for the buck' in a fabric sofa is Taylor King and buying within their Portfolio Collection. If you stay within that grouping, you can get an excellent piece for right around $ 2,000, or even less. This is USA-made in Hickory NC, Solid Maple Framed, 8-Way hand-tied and the fabrics in the collection are decent. The downside is the line if virtually impossible to see on-line, and T-K has requested I don't scan and post that program so its pretty awkward to show you something, sorry. Perhaps there is a local dealer carrying the line that you can see?

That's exactly where I would be buying....
    Duane Collie

ucp113 Guest

Duane, Thank you for the advice. I wish you weren't several states away or I would be coming to your store just for the service you have shown here. My wife and I went looking and were hoping to find a floor model that a dealer was discounting because he wanted to move it as many on this forum suggested. We found a Henredon sofa that had everything you said the Taylor King build had and the cushions were down with springs inside of them. It was $1800. My wife and I really liked it but the fabric was discontinued and they could not get a loveseat for us that would match. The salesman spoke very highly of Henredon line and said they will begin carrying Taylor King later this year. Can you tell me anything about the Henredon sofa? We really liked the way it looked and the cushions were very supportive. We can purchase the style in another fabric that is still in stock but it is going to be over $2500 which is more than we wanted to spend just for the sofa, $2000 range.

Henredon is a respectable maker. I'd not worry about a matching loveseat, you can pick up one that coordinates in a few months time. Good luck!
    Duane Collie

vbnet Guest

I bought 2 Henredon love seats. They lasted 25 years through multiple dogs, an autistic child, spills, company, many children climbing on them, us sleeping on them, etc. etc. etc. I eventually gave them away because they were tufted and I didn't want to have them reupholstered.