Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leathercraft vs. Hancock and Moore

Default Leathercraft vs. Hancock and Moore

As a dealer for both these companies, I was dismayed to learn that Leathercraft only has a 1 year replacement policy on their cushion inserts for their upholstery. I have a very good customer who has an 2-year-old Leathercraft recliner that the seat and back cushions appear to have lost their resiliency. I called to get replacements and found out there was going to be a charge! Well, I'm not going to charge my customer for them - no way, because good cushions should last more than 2 years, so I ordered them anyways.

Hancock and Moore will replace cushions at no charge for the life of the piece to the original owner, and I like that policy much better. It's the right way to do business.

Its kind of funny to watch the Leathercraft people come in my store and say "We'd like to get some sales figures like you get with Hancock and Moore!" So I tell them "To get sales like Hancock and Moore you have to BE more like Hancock and Moore". They hem and haw, and say "We can't afford to do some of the things they do" then go on their merry way, thinking they can wish themselves into higher sales, I guess.

I like the Leathercraft product line as a whole, don't get me wrong. But it baffles me how they can continually shoot themselves in the foot with policies like cushion replacements, refusals to repair their product if damaged (by the customer) and the like.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ckdc Guest

Sometimes when a brand like H&M sets the bar high for service and quality they are a target to get bought out, and the aspects of the company that set them apart are lost in the acquisition. Have you ever heard of any offers that H&M has received or considered? Who would be some of the bigger players that either focus on luxury brands, or need a leading luxury brand to add to their portfolio. I'd assume some consolidation as furniture makers have to be struggling right now.

Have you seen much consolidation over the years?

How does Classic Leather (I think that's the name) compare to H&M and Leathercraft?

Actually, Jack Glasheen and Jimmy Moore (owners of H&M) both came from Classic Leather. Jack was Sales Manager and Jimmy was Production Manager and they decided to open their own place in 1976. So you'll see a lot in common in the lines in terms of quality and style. I don't follow Classic Leather closely, but it enjoys a reputation as one of the better brands.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Actually, Jack Glasheen and Jimmy Moore (owners of H&M) both came from Classic Leather. Jack was Sales Managed and Jimmy was Production Manager and they decided to open their own place in 1976. So you'll see a lot in common in the lines in terms of quality and style. I don't follow Classic Leather closely, but it enjoys a reputation as one of the better brands.
    A dealer in the area sells it and really feels it's a quality brand so had to ask about it. BTW I have asked two dealers about Steerhide vs Cowhide. So far the first one said that was a new one to him though he does recommend always getting top grain leather, he added he would try to find out. The second didn't give much of a response other than all their leathers are top quality.

dr56 Guest

Default Lifetime cushion insert replacement?

Hi Duane,

Just curious whether this lifetime cushion replacement "perk" is written in H&M's warranty. My sister has a H&M chair (original owner) and she contacted the store she brought from and the told her its good for 15 years???? Just curious. The store may not be aware of the policy and/or not wanting to deal with it. Do you contact H&M directly for the replacement? Thanks again for all your help!

It is, and .... it isn't. The stated warranty as of today is:

"Hancock & Moore warrants that if a manufacturing defect occurs with our product, H&M will either repair or replace the defect of provide an allowance for repair to include frames, cushions, and spring-up construction."

Now if you talk to Jack or Jimmy, they will tell you every time "As long as you own it, you will never have to pay for cushion inserts." I routinely replace the inserts for older H&M product that I didn't originally sell on behalf of customers. Can things change over time? I'm sure they can, and might. No one knows what the future holds. However as long as that company is owned and run by Jimmy and Jack, you have a safe bet on it. Those two men are very proud of how far they've come in such short time with this company and in my experience will always give the customer the benefit of the doubt. I like that a lot, which is why I promote H&M over other brands because they rarely say "NO" unlike most other companies. When a dealer knows that if there is a minor issue and they will take care of it, then its easier to sell. H&M "gets it", the other companies don't to a large degree.

I can get your sister's cushion cores replaced if she is the original owner. Easier for me to do it than you. PM me with her name, address, model number of the piece, which cushions need replacing, date of purchase and store where purchased.
    Duane Collie

dr56 Guest

Default Thank you, Duane!

Wow, Duane, that would be great! Now hopefully she still has her original receipt. I will get that to you if she does. I am having a strange feeling not as this is why she had contacted the store she originally purchased from and they either did not want to check back in their records (about 15 years ago) or some other reason and therefore told her she could not get replacements. I am not fond of this particular store. Anyway, I appreciate it!

Diane

The reality of it all is that so many businesses just don't care. They are all about making money (which is what a business has to do - including mine!), but no one is interested in taking the hour out of their day to replace cushion cores on a 15-year-old sofa. No profit in it, so its easier to simply blow your sister off.

I believe that what goes around comes around. I know that if I spend that hour to get your sister new cores, even though I wasn't the selling dealer, then that good turn will eventually come back to me. Maybe your sister would order sometime in the future, or maybe someone reading the forum would say 'Hey, that's the kind of guy I want to get my new furniture from', or maybe it comes back to me like it did when I found the cancer surgeon that saved me from what my first surgeon said was certain death.

It's really just the Golden Rule that we all learned as kids. And if more of us did it in this country, perhaps we'd not have the economic situation we're in now. Replace greed with a willingness to help. We all need to do it, every day.

Even if your sister can' find the ticket, see if she can ID the model from the H&M website. If she can't take a digital photo of the piece as it is now and send it to me. I can figure it out or find someone at H&M that can. We can take care of her.
    Duane Collie

dr56 Guest

Default You're a good man, Duane

You are a perfect example of the "Golden Rule", Duane and I have much respect for you. I knew there was a good reason to do business with you aside from your impecable service and, of course, pricing. You are one special individual and yes, you are right, if more people followed the Golden Rule our country and our government would not be in this terrible mess we are in. I thank you and I can assure you there are many behind me in my sentiments. I hope others can give back to you what you have given to them!