Thread: Does hand rubbed mean painted (H&M leathers)?

vbnet Guest

Default Does hand rubbed mean painted (H&M leathers)?

I'm just a bit confused. Does hand rubbed mean painted? As opposed to the whole leather being dyed?

I've read so many posts on various leathers, called Duane for a couple of quotes, and looked at the leather primer, and the sticky with the leather descriptions that have been assigned ribbons according to Duane's experience.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ghlight=ribbon

fyi - One of the more enjoyable posts involved someone testing various leathers, it was quite entertaining:
    http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ceived+samples

This was in the first thread:
    Finished Leather: There are several names for Finished leather that is used interchangeably. You will find them referred to as Pigmented, Painted, and Protected as well as the term Finished. When hide "crusts" come into a tannery, they are graded. Those that have too many imperfections to become an Aniline will then be heavily sanded to remove the flaws in preparation for tanning. Sanding will destroy the natural grain pattern as well as all 'marks of the trail' including fat wrinkles, scars, etc. The grain pattern is embossed back into the hide and then a pigmented, or painted, topcoat is applied along with a protective sealer coat. These leathers will look perfect upon first glance but can be 'over-processed' in appearance and most people who like fine leather will not buy in this category. However they are more resistant to sunlight fade and oily/acid spills than the anilines.

Aniline Leather: Only 2% of hides worldwide are fine enough to become pure aniline leathers. They require little or no sanding, and are vat-dipped in color rather than sprayed. All natural markings are left intact including healed scars, fat wrinkles, bug bites, manure stains, and whatever else that cow encountered during its life. They are very soft and supple, but will fade rapidly in direct sunlight. Some stains will soak in with potential to ruin the leather, including heavy oils, acids like vinegar and ammonia, and the like. They will be more costly than Finished leathers, and often develop a wonderful patina over time.

Semi-Aniline Leather: A hybrid that uses the dipping of the Aniline dye with the protective topcoat of the Finished leather. Will perform like a Protected leather, but lacks the feel and plushness of the pure aniline.

But I don't know if I "get it".

Is Semi-Aniline the happy medium? Not too much of a painted or processed look but does have a protective coating?
    Last edited by vbnet; 03-07-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Default Re: Does hand rubbed mean painted (H&M leathers)?

Hand-Rubbed: Done at the leather tannery to add "special effects" such as darkening and High-Low shading. The leather arrives from the tannery already done. Can be done on all types of leather in all price ranges.

Hand-Antiqued or Burnished: Done at Hancock & Moore AFTER the piece has been fully built. This is applied using toner-step coats then a sealer coat over the top if it all and each piece is unique. To my knowledge, only H&M is doing this process in the industry, its fairly complex. Only done on Aniline hides.

Yes, Semi-Aniline has a top-coat. I don't care to call it 'protective' I think that creates the illusion of 'armored' and that it most certainly is not. Failure to clean and condition your leather pieces on a regular basis will result in failure of the hide, no matter what kind of leather it is or what price range. However, having said that you can get away with spilling motor oil on a top-coated hide and it will wipe off. Do that on an aniline and it will soak in and stain. Then the question becomes how often to you spill motor oil on your good furniture?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

vbnet Guest

rofl. Thanks!

vbnet Guest

Sorry if I'm a pest, but how does "painted" fit into all of this?

Quote Originally Posted by vbnet View Post
    Sorry if I'm a pest, but how does "painted" fit into all of this?
    Not sure I understand the question, but a 'painted' leather is a finished leather as described above.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

vbnet Guest

This is from the pm you sent me

Aspen is painted, Columbia and Cavalier are Semi-Anilines. They will hold up fine long as he's not doing a science lab with chemicals atop the leather..

and another mention at another time that antelope is painted (I think).

So what is the painting? is it that the color is sprayed vs dipped in a vat?

vbnet Guest

as you always say, search is your friend =)

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...hlight=painted

this kindof answers my question about painted =)

vbnet Guest

as you always say, search is your friend =)

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...hlight=painted

this kindof answers my question about painted =)