Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat Panel Entertainment Center

Sorry, The new one will be just as pictured, glass doors in all four panels. You can have wood doors if you prefer, carries a slight upcharge. There are two legs for the piece, this is the only photo I have of it. Its brand new, my first one gets here next week so I cannot tell you what the alternate leg looks like at this time.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

NYC_Lover Guest

Please keep us posted. I look forward to seeing a photo of this piece when it arrives in your store so that I can show it to my husband and convince him to get it. (Do you ship to NYC?)

My reasoning for having solid doors on the sides is so that you cannot see the colorful hodge-podge of tapes and dvds thus having a cleaner look/style.

puhmuckel Guest

Default Concept piece

I do think that there would be a market for it. I would most likely be in the market for such a piece. I hate the clutter of the TV out look, yet do not wish to have another Amoire in the room to make the room too heavy. Are there any such pieces out there right now?

Certainly, we can build one with only two glass doors if you like, but better (I think) is to have smoked dark glass, that way the remotes can still do their thing and you can't see much behind it except for a faint glow of any LED's that may be on. Shipping to NY is possible, but unconventional. Sometimes we have the JL TREHARN truck drop it off on their way to their dealers in NE, depending on where in NY you are. If in the City, not going to happen and I'd have to use a blanket wrap service or come up with some other way (TREHARN does not carton their pieces, it all comes blanket wrap to my store or I drive out to Ohio to get it)

I'll take some photos when it arrives....
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by puhmuckel View Post
    I do think that there would be a market for it. I would most likely be in the market for such a piece. I hate the clutter of the TV out look, yet do not wish to have another Amoire in the room to make the room too heavy. Are there any such pieces out there right now?

I have a customer in Florida that I'm working with to build this for her as I type this. We built a couple of these back in the early 90's when the huge-tube 32" TVs were cutting edge, but now with the flat panels we don't have to make them as deep, and the mechanisms have improved considerably. I'm not aware of anyone making one as a standard item, but these are used a lot in custom-build installations. There's a weight limit of 200 lb so the really large 55" Flat Panels are probably too heavy. Might have to stay in the 42" to 50" size range. Here's what the mechanism looks like that we are thinking of using:

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...%20Lift&smode=
    Duane Collie

puhmuckel Guest

Default Concept versus made to order

I would really be interested in something like that. When do you think such a concept piece would become available? Is a made to order piece around the same price point? I am about to buy my first flat screen TV, (42-46) and such a piece would really solve my problems. I thing I could buy one next year, as I do not want to dip into the savings and end up like the people on TV.

soster Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    That won't have glass doors, the Flat Panel will rise up and out of the case itself. Component pieces will have to be handled using infrared repeaters as there will be no place for them in this piece. It's a concept right now, not sure if there is a strong market demand at $ 4K for this piece.
    This would be nice as a media credenza with a separate wall-hung tv cabinet.

Odd I/O Guest

Duane, audio/video equipment can get pretty hot (espcially some A/V Receivers) so you might want to take ventilation/air flow into consideration if that's what the piece is supposed to hold. Nothing worse than your equipment overheating in the middle of a movie. Maybe instead of glass on the doors you can have a black fabric mesh and replace the back of the unit with black mesh fabric panels to allow any heat to escape.

Odd I/O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by puhmuckel View Post
    Are you referring to the piece with the T.V. rising up out of the cabinet? I've actually seen this offered at an Amish furniture store of all places. So, they're out there. Your best bet is probably at a store that manufactures their own furniture or have access to local craftsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd I/O View Post
    Duane, audio/video equipment can get pretty hot (espcially some A/V Receivers) so you might want to take ventilation/air flow into consideration if that's what the piece is supposed to hold. Nothing worse than your equipment overheating in the middle of a movie. Maybe instead of glass on the doors you can have a black fabric mesh and replace the back of the unit with black mesh fabric panels to allow any heat to escape.
    Well, the TV unit would be UP and in the airstream when on, and with this design (rising out of the case) the other equipment would be elsewhere and connected to the TV via infrared repeaters, so no cooling issues in any case.
    Duane Collie