Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so embarassed....

Default I'm so embarassed....

Saturday morning, 10 minutes before the store even opened my first customer of the day arrived to pick up her new H&M Raleigh Wing Chair and Ottoman in Capri Navy. I'm out in the parking lot unpacking it for them (left it in the box in case they wanted to transport in the carton but it wouldn't fit in their SUV without being un-cartoned) and of course its gorgeous.

My customer spots a small gray dot atop one of the arms and says "Oh my, what is that!?" I know that its a small piece of pigment from the gray marking grease pen they use to template the leather for cutting and its water soluble, it just worked its way onto the arm during shipping. So I say "No worries, that will come right off" and I take my finger, moisten it to my tongue, give it a small rub and ! poof ! its gone just like that. My customer looks at me and says "Did you just spit on my new chair?"

Argh! I didn't even think about that! With egg on my face, I apologized profusely and resolved not to do that again! Next time I'll come in the store and get a moistened paper towel. I felt badly about that....didn't even think of how that looked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C1.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	6107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C2.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	6108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C3.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	6109
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: I'm so embarassed....

That chair is drop dead gorgeous even if you did spit on it.

bubbaonline Guest

"Did you just spit on my new chair?"

"No.. I fixed it.. "

Do all purchases from your store come with your DNA on them?

MADEINUSA Guest

Hancock and Moore furniture pieces are among the best available not because they are made of some exotic leathers or fabulous designs but because they are lovingly crafted by American hands with a god measure of blood ,sweat and tears and to a small extent by spit too.you either take it that way or leave it.the customer should chill a bit and get out of the "sue everyone" attitude.

needstuff Guest

Interesting, just shows how things can differ. My Capri Navy chair is quite a bit darker than those, it's a really dark blue. Same 'texture" (or rather smoothness) though.

Beautiful.

If it were me, and I said that, I would just be busting your chops. But I imagine there are people would genuinely be bothered by it. One of those things that you did in a split second, without thinking, that normally you'd have taken care of in a back room with nobody looking, I imagine.

Oh well. We all have our little moments we wish we could take back. It's probably a lot more important that the chairs are fantastic.
    Last edited by needstuff; 03-20-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Yes, in the back room, no one would have seen me do it .... <grin> Just kidding! Yes, it was because we were in the parking lot, loading it up....

Capri has changed, so has Quintessence and Antelope. The tannery that was making those hides went out of business and H&M hustled to find a replacement tannery who could deliver those same hides. It took a lot of work they told me, but the new Tannery is actually delivering and even better product in those series, Its softer and more plush, and there may be some minor color shifts as well. Remember too, that outside light is harsh and pieces photoed out in the parking lot will appear many shades darker once inside.
    Duane Collie

Ci2Eye Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Yes, in the back room, no one would have seen me do it .... <grin> Just kidding! Yes, it was because we were in the parking lot, loading it up....

Capri has changed, so has Quintessence and Antelope. The tannery that was making those hides went out of business and H&M hustled to find a replacement tannery who could deliver those same hides. It took a lot of work they told me, but the new Tannery is actually delivering and even better product in those series, Its softer and more plush, and there may be some minor color shifts as well. Remember too, that outside light is harsh and pieces photoed out in the parking lot will appear many shades darker once inside.
    Just curious....about when did the tannery change occur? Years ago or months ago? Would my year old chair in Capri be new or old tannery and I am guessing these three are still sourced in Germany.

It was sometime in 2013, though I'm not sure when the switchover was made.
    Duane Collie

vbnet Guest

The "flaking" that was occasionally being seen on antelope - can you hazard a guess as to whether that was the old or new tannery?