Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood Table Damaged by a Hot Cooking Vessel

violet*tendencies Guest

Default Wood Table Damaged by a Hot Cooking Vessel

Hello

I am so terribly disappointed. I've spent quite a bit of time shopping for a table for my breakfast room. I finally found a table that meets all my needs at Restoration Hardware. So I ordered it yesterday.

Here's the table:

Here's the link:

http://http://www.restorationhardwar...082&navCount=0

Well, I decided to browse the GardenWeb site (which led me here) and after reading a thread entitled Furniture 101:Q&A in the furniture forum, I decided to google "quality+Restoration Hardware+furniture" and learned that RH had moved their furniture manufacturing operation to China last year.

The descriptive text for the table reads as follows:

Trestle Salvaged Wood Dining Table
    $3290
    Handcrafted of substantial 2-1/2"-thick reclaimed timbers from a distillery in Great Britain
    Rough-hewn, solid planks are carefully hand selected, planed and sanded smooth
    Handsomely distressed and grandly sized to accommodate large gatherings
    One-of-a-kind tabletop is unfinished and has the patina of reclaimed wood
    Bearing the hallmarks of old wood, some nicks and imperfections are to be expected, including nail marks that reveal the table's provenance
    Seats 12 with the 18" breadboard extensions, 8 without
    Each piece is one-of-a-kind and quantities are limited
    Dimensions: 108"L x 42-1/4"W x 30"H; two 18" leaves; extends to 144"L

I assumed the table was made in Great Britain. Erhm...WRONG. Made in China.

I was told by the RH Customer Service representative that the timber was shipped from Scotland to China for manufacturing.

This kind of kills my romantic vision of this table. I'm seriously considering cancelling my order. I've never purchased a piece of furniture manufactured in Asia. Will the craftmanship likely be poor? I was expecting an artisan made piece for that price. I know Restoration Hardware is not a top tier furniture company, but it was my understanding that their furniture was manufactured domestically. I suppose that has changed. So sad.

Do you all think it's wise to cancel my order and look elsewhere? Any ideas where I can source a table with some of the same features and the same look: unfinished reclaimed timber, elegant trestle base?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by violet*tendencies View Post
    Hello

I am so terribly disappointed. I've spent quite a bit of time shopping for a table for my breakfast room. I finally found a table that meets all my needs at Restoration Hardware. So I ordered it yesterday.

Here's the table:

Here's the link:

http://http://www.restorationhardwar...082&navCount=0

Well, I decided to browse the GardenWeb site (which led me here) and after reading a thread entitled Furniture 101:Q&A in the furniture forum, I decided to google "quality+Restoration Hardware+furniture" and learned that RH had moved their furniture manufacturing operation to China last year.

The descriptive text for the table reads as follows:

Trestle Salvaged Wood Dining Table
    $3290
    Handcrafted of substantial 2-1/2"-thick reclaimed timbers from a distillery in Great Britain
    Rough-hewn, solid planks are carefully hand selected, planed and sanded smooth
    Handsomely distressed and grandly sized to accommodate large gatherings
    One-of-a-kind tabletop is unfinished and has the patina of reclaimed wood
    Bearing the hallmarks of old wood, some nicks and imperfections are to be expected, including nail marks that reveal the table's provenance
    Seats 12 with the 18" breadboard extensions, 8 without
    Each piece is one-of-a-kind and quantities are limited
    Dimensions: 108"L x 42-1/4"W x 30"H; two 18" leaves; extends to 144"L

I assumed the table was made in Great Britain. Erhm...WRONG. Made in China.

I was told by the RH Customer Service representative that the timber was shipped from Scotland to China for manufacturing.

This kind of kills my romantic vision of this table. I'm seriously considering cancelling my order. I've never purchased a piece of furniture manufactured in Asia. Will the craftmanship likely be poor? I was expecting an artisan made piece for that price. I know Restoration Hardware is not a top tier furniture company, but it was my understanding that their furniture was manufactured domestically. I suppose that has changed. So sad.

Do you all think it's wise to cancel my order and look elsewhere? Any ideas where I can source a table with some of the same features and the same look: unfinished reclaimed timber, elegant trestle base?

Thank you!
    I can not say if that piece being made in China is a bad thing or not but I know on a piece like that I would be dissapointed to find out it was. I have seen that so far furniture wise that a lot of times quality does suffer when something that was made domestically is new being produced in China but that's not always the case.

The good news is I can say that the members here will probably give you a lot of information and suggestions on what to do. I see according to your message header you're located in Pennsylvania, PA has it's share of furniture craftsman and Amish communities that produce handmade furniture you might want to see if you can can find some furniture makers who might be able to make that piece for you.

Btw here is an updated link http://www.restorationhardware.com/r...082&navCount=0
    Last edited by Briant73; 03-23-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Here's my take on this - just an opinion!

There is no way you would even come close to your $ 3,250 price point on a table like that made in the USA or England. There is a lot of material in that table, and the top looks to be made of 10 / quarter lumber. If I were to make a table like that using my USA craftsmen, it would be double that price at the very least - and probably more. Four large pedestals that size? Wow. 108" as well.

I would imagine that table is 4-piece, as it would be too heavy to carry otherwise. Top detaches, each pedestal base is separate, and the stretcher connects the bases must be a separate piece as well When you have a table like that, its all about HOW its put together. There's a ton of weight, it has to be well made to prevent sag and collapse. Ideally I'd want to see a cleat block top on that, and then some large octagonal pegs (set with a hammer) holding the stretcher to the base. So really, you need to go back to the store and crawl around to see how it's assembled. That's the critical part - the design joinery of a table that is that heavy. I'd estimate that top to be about 150 lb by itself, so that kind of weight can cause the table to self-destruct it its not bolted or tightly held to the base.

Its pretty basic, not much to go wrong on it otherwise. If you like the table - and if its solid when you push on it - get it. You'll not touch the price otherwise.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

soster Guest

I'd look for a Saloom dealer. They make this:

http://saloom.com/New%20Castle/NC_CHE%2008.htm

in Massachusetts.

Here's one picture

violet*tendencies Guest

Briant73, thanks for correcting the link!

Duane, I welcome and appreciate your opinion! I feel better about my order after reading your posting. I also spoke to a representative of Restoration Hardware to convey my concerns and she assured me they would stand by the table and take it back and issue a refund if I was unhappy with it (minus the shipping cost).

I wish I could inspect it in advance, but there isn't one in my area. But if I decide to let the order stand, you can be sure I will check the joinery on delivery day before I accept it.

Soster, that Saloom table is very close but doesn't quite have the same vibe. Thanks for showing it to me!

Again, my thanks to all of you, I so appreciate your help.

Sarah Guest

I can't comment on the quality but I absolutely love the style/look of that table! Great choice ~ I see why you chose it!

violet*tendencies Guest

I'm glad you like it Sarah- what strikes me about the styling of the piece is that it is simultaneously casual and formal. You can dress it up or dress it down.

I would like to see detail photos of this table when you get it, mostly I'm curious as to how it is assembled. Is there a set-up service with RH upon delivery or are you on your own to put it together?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

violet*tendencies Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I would like to see detail photos of this table when you get it, mostly I'm curious as to how it is assembled.
    Absolutely Duane, although the table won't be stocked until end of April, so a bit of a wait.

Also, Restoration Hardware will assemble (if necessary) and place the furniture.

violet*tendencies Guest

Default Update!

Duane,

As you requested, I'm back to post photos showing the joinery on my table. I'm interested in your opinion.

I also have a question. The wood appears to be completely untreated. I have a slight issue with the table top as tiny splints of wood come off when I dust or wipe it. Is there any treatment that you would recommend to reduce this problem without affecting the tone or patina of the wood?

Thank you!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	underside 1.jpg 
Views:	4925 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	underside 2.jpg 
Views:	3538 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	underside 3.jpg 
Views:	7235 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	underside 4.jpg 
Views:	3439 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joinery.jpg 
Views:	4037 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	333