Thread: Current quality of Yardley leather

Tater Guest

Default Current quality of Yardley leather

I really like the Yardley Cognac sample that I have. I appreciate the natural markings in the hide and it's mild pull-up effect plus it has been very durable to some torture tests. The Cognac sample is a rich brown with red undertones, not too dry or too shiny nor too rough or smooth - perfetto. I think it would wear just right.

But in reading some posts from a couple of years back Duane notes a few inconsistencies from batch to batch relating to dry look and variation of smoothness from batch to batch. I don't see anything from recent years relating to this and wonder if these problems still persist. Duane or anyone who has any experience with Yardley in the past year or so please advise on current quality? Grazie!

Tater Guest

Default Re: Current quality of Yardley leather?

The point of the question is a moot one, I've decided to go with my first choice, Capri Harness. Why fight it if you can afford it just order it and go till the garden.
    Last edited by Tater; 05-05-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Good choice! I see nothing but glowing comments written about Capri. Expensive in Grade 4, but worth it.

Someday, maybe when my smart son is out of law school, I can get a piece made up with Capri! Until then, it's Grade 2 or bust for me!

Tater Guest

I'm still having trouble deciding, just learned the price will be nearly $1500 more for the Capri.

I have two Grade II samples that I feel are more attractive than Capri but don't have the feel, though close. They are Atticus Chestnut and Yardley Cognac, Yardley has the edge in color and pull up effect, Atticus feels softer. The Atticus is nice for distressed leather, Yardley is a bit thinner but more natural looking. These comparisons are very close. At the end of the week maybe I'll just flip a coin.

Yes, the GR 4 leathers can get pricey. As an average, its about 15% in increase in every grade step up.

Atticus is a very nice hide and more consistent than Yardley (this one is still all over the place). Atticus is not really a distressed hide, its just a mild pull-up leather. I'd recommend a CFA (Cutting for Approval) on any order with Yardley, to see the actual hide you will get. I've no concerns with Atticus.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I've got a piece made up in Atticus Sable on order and can't wait to see it when it arrives!