Thread: Funny customer

soster Guest

Default Funny customer

I'm showing a mattress to someone and I offer an extra discount because its the floor model. The customer tells me she doesn't want the floor model. I ask her why not, and she says she doesn't want a mattress that other people have tried out. I explain that the few people who have lied down and gotten back up haven't put any wear on the mattress. She says that's not it, its just a personal thing.

So I ask her if she ever sleeps in a hotel. She replies, "Of course, why do you ask?"

Ironically, this has happened more times than I can count.

<chortle> That's a good one, Steve!

I had a customer inquiry for an H&M sofa this past summer in Arizona who wanted me to guarantee the Home Delivery Service truck they were going to bring his sofa to him with carried ONLY brand new furniture and has never carried anything but. The whole truck. He didn't want any imaginary critters migrating from someone's furniture and setting up quarters in his new H&M sofa. I said "I cannot guarantee that" He said "You must!" I said 'Goodbye'.

He was a Child Psychiatrist.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

soster Guest

Yes, psychiatrists have been interesting furniture customers for me too.

And also I've noticed that people are making extreme attempts to be "risk averse" these days. Its a growing trend that I've noticed over the last 10 years. What's odd to me is two things - first this trend occurred in a time of little risk and great prosperity, and second, people focus so much on a single risk they expose themselves to several others just as bad.

Like your customer in Arizona. He asked about the truck, which is regularly cleaned out. But did he ask about the warehouse? That is where the critters really live. And isn't Arizona where the mice carry hantavirus?

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    <chortle> That's a good one, Steve!

I had a customer inquiry for an H&M sofa this past summer in Arizona who wanted me to guarantee the Home Delivery Service truck they were going to bring his sofa to him with carried ONLY brand new furniture and has never carried anything but. The whole truck. He didn't want any imaginary critters migrating from someone's furniture and setting up quarters in his new H&M sofa. I said "I cannot guarantee that" He said "You must!" I said 'Goodbye'.

He was a Child Psychiatrist.

I got a chucle from the "you must" to "Goodbye".

I can kind of see where this guy is coming from though I doubt that delivery service is problematic but I have heard of used furniture/appliances being a way for bugs to move around. A friend who did summer deliveries while going to school for a rental place told me some horror stories of bugs/critters. I won't get into the gory details other than pretty much everyday that had to throw a bug killing bomb into the back of the truck to be safe.

But of course a rental place is much different than a delivery line.