Thread: Eight way hand tied vs. seat pleaser

Default Eight way hand tied vs. seat pleaser

Hello, I've been looking at purchasing an H&M Austin power sofa with 2 recliners (9034-30). Today, I found out that this model has what is called a seat pleaser (a drop in spring box) instead of using eight way hand tied. I've sat on the Austin High Back sofa (8138NB) and loved the way it sat, but was unable to find any H&M sofa recliners (or regular recliners) in my area. I want this piece to last and be enjoyable for daily use. Maybe I'm being too picky here, but I really wanted eight way hand tied springs in my next sofa.

Does anyone have experience with the "seat pleaser"?
    Am I better off getting a Austin High Back with two ottoman?

I also liked the Austin tilt back chair a lot. Is there an option on the Austin sofa for a similar tilt back feature in order to have eight way hand tied but still have an adjustable back?
    Last edited by brian; 05-27-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Default Re: eight way hand tied vs. seat pleaser?

You are correct! No motion piece, from any maker, can have 8-way hand-tied spring decks, that is for stationary pieces only. "Seat Pleaser" is a Trademark name for Leggit and Platt's drop-in spring grid system and its as good as anything on the market and better than most. Of course, your 8-way is the gold standard for excellence in comfort and durability, and the most costly way to produce a piece as well. Its a decent sit, and I would be willing to wager that only a small percentage of people could tell the difference in seat comfort overall. The Austin Tilt Back chair (and all tilt backs from H&M) DO have 8-way hand tied decks - only the back is moving on these pieces so they can use that in the seating base.

Myself, I am in the camp that prefers a stationary sofa with a big ottoman in front of it vs a dual recliner sofa. Not so much for comfort but for how they look and perform 10 years down the road. The dual recliner sofa will have heavy wear on the ends (morso on the man's end than the woman's) and the middle will look like new because no one sits there. The Stationary one will wear more evenly and with the ottoman you can actually cuddle side-by-side while watching a movie, etc whereas on dual recliners you are separated by that no-man's land center section.

Finally recliner mechanisms can - and do - fail as they get older (10 years +). That's extra cost to replace if they do. Nothing ever breaks on the stationary ones.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Eight way hand tied vs. seat pleaser

Mr. Collie, they make a 9034-30 that works with a hand pull and has no motor. Would this version still be 8 way hand-tied spring decks? Thanks, David

Default Re: Eight way hand tied vs. seat pleaser

9034 is a full motion pieces and as such cannot have an 8-way hand tied suspension. No motion furniture can have that - only tilt back units where that base does not move such as the 2038 Austin chair.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: eight way hand tied vs. seat pleaser?

Lifestyle has a lot to do with it. When we were working, and using a sofa or recliner for a few hours at night to watch TV, a motion piece would have been great. As retirees, we sit on our fixed sofa with Ottoman much of the day. We get up many times during the day, to go to the bathroom, get the phone, get a snack, let the dog out. We would be putting heavy wear on the mechanism. Our ottoman matched the sofa in that the heights go together perfectly. First time we ever properly matched furniture. The sofa ottoman combination is incredibly comfortable. Ottoman is 48 inches long, and about 30 wide. The sofa is 8 way hand tied. Probably contributes to the comfort.

If you have the room, it's the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You are correct! No motion piece, from any maker, can have 8-way hand-tied spring decks, that is for stationary pieces only. "Seat Pleaser" is a Trademark name for Leggit and Platt's drop-in spring grid system and its as good as anything on the market and better than most. Of course, your 8-way is the gold standard for excellence in comfort and durability, and the most costly way to produce a piece as well. Its a decent sit, and I would be willing to wager that only a small percentage of people could tell the difference in seat comfort overall. The Austin Tilt Back chair (and all tilt backs from H&M) DO have 8-way hand tied decks - only the back is moving on these pieces so they can use that in the seating base.

Myself, I am in the camp that prefers a stationary sofa with a big ottoman in front of it vs a dual recliner sofa. Not so much for comfort but for how they look and perform 10 years down the road. The dual recliner sofa will have heavy wear on the ends (morso on the man's end than the woman's) and the middle will look like new because no one sits there. The Stationary one will wear more evenly and with the ottoman you can actually cuddle side-by-side while watching a movie, etc whereas on dual recliners you are separated by that no-man's land center section.

Finally recliner mechanisms can - and do - fail as they get older (10 years +). That's extra cost to replace if they do. Nothing ever breaks on the stationary ones.