Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $$$ H&M Gotta Get It Right

shepherdkisses Guest

Cool $$$ H&M Gotta Get It Right

Hello,

I am a first time poster here. Duane has been a pleasure to deal with so far, and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this expensive order for an H&M sofa and recliner. I have to get this right or my husband will never let me get furniture like this again. You know he is great, but he thinks there is nothing to it, you just sit on it, so go to a garage sale or something. It is a lot more complicated than that. So I have some questions and I am hoping those with more experience can fill me in on the low down.
    First, I am looking to order the Journey sofa power recliner and the Journey Lounger in Claret leather, class 2, protected. Does anyone have furniture in this leather? We will be using it in our TV room and it will get daily use. Also I have two teenagers and one dog. I may add dogs later.
    Second, I have been researching the Dupont Qualux foam and it is hard to tell what is what. Duane has told me that it is standard 18 oz or firmer 21 oz. for the same cost. But what does that mean? Does anyone know what the density, pounds of material per cubic foot, is? I am leaning toward the 21 oz since it will get daily use.
    Third, I am worried because I can't rotate the cushions to even out the wear on this sofa. Obviously, the seats with the foot rests will get the most use, so will the middle look new while the rest sags overtime?
    Fourth, delivery, the bain of the furniture world. Duane says if you are a perfectionist buy local. If you only knew how bad local is? I bought cheap and they could not get it 10 miles without damage. I am thinking of paying the big bucks to have it delivered in the box, or making a rode trip to NC. I have always wanted to visit the Biltmore estate. It will be a twelve hour drive each way. We just came back from Florida at 20 hours so that seems like cake, bumpy cake, but doable.
    Lastly, my 11 pound Coton will want to sit on the top cushions behind my head from time to time. Does any know how these cushions will hold up to that?
    I do have a website with some information on Qualux foam
    www.dempfoam.com Not a lot but some info is here. I went to Duponts site and nothing came up in the search except how many chemicals they manufacture to put in our food.

Default Re: $$$ H&M Gotta Get It Right

HA! I love the remark about your husband....

What I hear typically a few years later from the husband is "I want a chair for me that same brand you got us before - what was it called again? I can't remember the name. At the time I thought it was too expensive but that's what my wife wanted. We should have got one of those sooner because its been a really good sofa and I would like my chair to be from the same people - all that other stuff we had is junk and I don't want any more junk."

"Claret" is the color, but not the name of the leather. There's the series of the leather in front of that color descriptor. Would it be something like Document Claret or Dream Claret? I'd need that full name to evaluate it for you. Remember that "Protected" leather really means its a painted leather. "Unprotected" means aniline dyed. I think that folks think that the terms mean one is armored against abuse and the other is fragile, but that's not the case. Try to keep an open mind about which leather to use! Myself, I only buy anilines for my home because that's 'real' leather. Tennis shoes are painted leather - how good do those Nikes look when they are 8 years old? But a nice man's wallet is aniline - when its 8 years old it doesn't look new but has great patina and natural color high/lows from use. Which looks better with age?

The Journey Power Lounger Recliner is heart-breakingly heavy. It has to be 325 to 350 lb so its very hard to deliver and move. That's the only negative on it, I think you need four men and at least 36" free space in the entry ways to get this one into most homes. It does sit good, but don't even think about taking down inside stairways into a basement.

The ounces on the foam ARE the density. 21oz if about 10% to 15% firmer than the 18oz. It all depends on if you prefer to sit 'in' a piece, or 'on' a piece. Firmer will give you less sink, but some will say its not as comfortable. Durability is equal on both, but since H&M gives the original purchaser free cushion core replacements for the life of the piece, you can have new cores any time you want by contacting your selling dealer and its at no charge, even the shipping is free. I rarely see them break down in less than 10 years time, however.

Yes, the center segment on a Dual Power Recliner Sofa is no-man's land. No one wants to sit there. Yes, it will look like new when the two ends show wear over time. That's the nature of the beast as they say. You can control the wear factor considerably by frequent cleaning and conditioning of the hide, that does make a difference over time.

You are always more than welcome to pick up your own furniture at H&M's factory in Taylorsville, NC and get a 'Jimmy Moore' tour at the same time. That piece will not fit into a pickup truck however, it will take a commercial rental truck or a trailer to haul it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

shepherdkisses Guest

Red face Re: $$$ H&M Gotta Get It Right

Ahh Duane, our fearless leader, thank you for the information. I sure hope you are right about my husband. He is a great guy, but he is in the business of manufacturing and saving a half a penny makes him giddy.

I am only getting the sofa and recliner, and there are four of us, so the middle may not be so bad. We can share the foot rest since we are past the she's touching me stage. I will probably follow your recommendation on the cushions and go with the 18 oz since they will replace the cushions if need for free later down the road, if needed.

You may have forgotten we will be putting this through a window. Ha ha! The opening is 42wx52h and the windows are removable tilt ins. My hubby is a farm boy/engineer and you would be surprised at what he can get done with a little help from my brothers. Also it is on the first floor. I am guessing that there is not a delivery company that will deliver down our 500ft. S shaped driveway at the end of a dirt road, through the fence to the back and then shove it through the window. LOL just thinking about it. We do have a country size front porch that is covered, so if they could get it there we could do the rest.

Or, I could rent a car here, turn it in in NC, after I hang out a few days, rent a Uhaul, and drive it here myself with another driver to help.

Or, I might have to come get it because of where I live? HMMMM?

Also, did you mention a sale coming in June for H&M?

Oh the leather I want to use is the Hanson Claret class 2 for the sofa and the Portfolio Claret for the chair. Is Portfolio class 1 or 2? Anyway, they need to be able to handle a spill and the usual TV snacks. Do you think they can hold up?

My goodness, I do ask a lot of questions. Thanks for being so helpful.

Take Care

vbnet Guest

Hi Shepardkisses, Can we get a video of your family moving it in? I think it would be Amazing!! =)

I too would love to see the video of the family all working to get the furniture through the window. I would bet Jimmy Moore and the office staff at H&M would all appreciate your effort. What a resounding vote for H&M furniture your efforts would make.

shepherdkisses Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cuse69 View Post
    I too would love to see the video of the family all working to get the furniture through the window. I would bet Jimmy Moore and the office staff at H&M would all appreciate your effort. What a resounding vote for H&M furniture your efforts would make.
    When we get the furniture I will record it for yah all. We have been in remodel mode for years and I am only slightly gray, my husband has somehow lost all of his hair, and my kids are fresh as daisies. We were going to replace the windows in our TV/bedroom anyway. However, since we are planning on this H&M we went with a larger window with tilt out glass just so we could fit this sofa into the room. Our hallway is to small and narrow with a 80 degree turn to get this in any other way.

Considering we have basically taken off the second floor, expanded it, and then rebuilt it, this seems like it will be doable. Now watch us drop it. AHHHHH!

No sale period for H&M in June, sorry. What will happen is the end of June there will be price and program revisions and perhaps some price increases (probably). Their sale period is the month of August.

Portfolio is GR 2, but I would not use those two reds together personally, not enough contrast. Will look like you tried to match one to the other and missed. Do both in Hanson or both in Portfolio is going to look better for you. Yes, they can take spills well, Portfolio slightly better as its a painted hide whereas Hanson is an aniline.
    Duane Collie

theoad Guest

Hi. This is my first post.After my search,H&G seems like a good investment. I just visited the ONLY local store that carries H&C. I was looking for a recliner and never sat in an H&C recliner before-seemed to fit me very well. They had a few floor models on sale for $1300-Addison Recliner. This is not power but the price seems like a great deal. Is it? It is grade 2 Leather Tobacco. Any opinions?

If you can buy a Hancock and Moore Addison recliner for $ 1,300 you will never find a better price than that. Either they have it marked incorrectly or that is seriously old stock.
    Duane Collie

theoad Guest

Thanks for your reply. There were four of them for the same price. Two Tobacco and two a Wine color-all are leather. The sales rep said they buy about 15 of the recliners at a time and get a good discount. She did not mention old stock (why would she?). First time I have been to the store, but the recliner seemed to be marked down a few times. Even if it old stock wouldn't it be a good deal or is it too good to be true? I just read about Randal Allen furniture. They have a recliner in their collection named Copley that looks VERY SIMILAR to the H&M Addison. I just called and bought what I was told was H&M Addison this morning, so I would not miss the opportunity. The sales rep EVEN took out the H&M books for me to view. I hope this isn't a scam. I will call tomorrow.
    Last edited by theoad; 08-26-2015 at 11:21 PM.