Thread: Introduction; likely purchasing Flexsteel...

Godiva Guest

Default Introduction; likely purchasing Flexsteel...

My husband and I are furniture shopping for two rooms...our living room, where we plan to purchase three reclining sofas, and for our family room, where we would like to have reclining space for six. Currently we're focusing on the living room.

Before we purchase anything, we do a LOT of research (we started our furniture process last year, which is when I first came across this forum.)

• I don't like leather because it's too cold...I HATE to be cold.

• We have four children, ranging in age from 14 down to 9.

Last year, I read here about Flexsteel...I'd never heard of them before, but most of what I've read about them, both here and on other websites, has been positive. I am steering clear of the Latitudes line, as it is made in China. There is a Flexsteel dealer in our town, and we've been pleased with what we've seen. We've pretty much settled on the Chicago sofa, and are choosing our fabric. I didn't see any that I particularly liked in anything other than 100% polyester. There was at least one that said "100% polyester microfiber," and others that look and feel very similar that simply say "100% polyester;" all of them indicate Wearability HHH and Cleanability code W. The salesperson said that all of them are microfiber...? Would they last on a reclining sofa?

We've learned that we can't always trust the salespeople in the stores to know what they're talking about (one told us last night that Ashley furniture would last us as long as Flexsteel...I almost laughed out loud!) One didn't know that the Flexsteel warranty was different for their Latitudes line than for their standard line....the list goes on and on (which is why we do research!)

Any insight will be gratefully received!

Welcome to the board!

I have been told many times real leather feels cold at first but should be fine in a couple minutes but I live with someone who to this day claims leather is cold no matter what so we went fabric on the couch and 1st recliner, the next chair will be mine and in leather! We went with Smith Brothers though so can't help you on the fabric for a flexsteel too much.

I have a feeling you will get some good advice about flexsteel and fabric choices on this board. About your dealer comment, I have noticed not all dealers know their stuff but the good ones always make an effort to find out for you. What other brands have you considered btw?

I would not buy motion furniture in fabric of any kind. Too many friction points and it simply wears out too quickly. Before you make your final decision, call a local upholsterer and get a ballpark figure on what they charge for labor to do a sofa such as what you are considering. Use $ 40 a yard as a data point for computing. I think you'll be surprised at that cost of re-covering and typically on motion furniture its worn in about 7 years.

Cheap leather is cold. Good leather is not. You may want to look at higher grade hides. Leather will typically outlast any fabric 4 to 1.

Microfibers are simply Polyesters that are much thinner in the strands than normal fabric. Dirt and grime tend to adhere less to them because of that thin strand. It also makes it softer feeling. Microfiber will shed strands unless made in conjunction with Nylon, so if you can find one that is 70/30 content or similar, that would be better.

Yes, Flexsteel Lattitudes is a 100% Chinese line with different warranties than Flexsteel USA. Mechanisms on USA Flexsteel are 5 years if I recall correctly (may not be accurate, you may want to check).

Ashely furniture is some of the worst I've seen, BTW.

Personally, I'd go leather, it will cost less in the long run.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Godiva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post
    What other brands have you considered btw?
    We've considered Berkline, but only their USA line...they make "Berkline Direct" in China. We may purchase our family room furniture from them.

We also saw an El Ran sectional the other night...I think they're made in Canada, but I haven't researched them enough to know about their quality...??