Thread: Puddling

Default Puddling

Duane: Just wanted your opinion on my recently delivered Austin High Back Tilt Back chair and ottoman in GR 2 Atticus Sable.

Looks like "dents" in the ottoman leather incurred during delivery in the truck and more puddling than what I would have expected with the Q21 cores. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140529_071011.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	6295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140529_171633.jpg 
Views:	870 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	6296  

Default Re: Puddling

The ottoman is a normal pressure mark from shipping, simply set that out in the sunlight for an hour or heat it up with a hair dryer and it will go away. The seat cushion puddling depends on your weight - if you are 280 - 300 lbs I would expect to see that. If you are 120 - 150 lbs then not so much. The extra firm cores will not prevent that, you would have to specify an 'extra-full' seat cushion in addition to any firmness choice at time of order to minimize puddling (but you will get a higher crown on the seat if you do). Once in a great while, but not very often, the seat casing has to go back to H&M to be 'tightened up' and re-sewn if the puddling is excessive. Contact your selling dealer to help you with that.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ok, thanks Duane, I'll get the ottoman in the hot NC sun this weekend.

I'm 6'0" 200 lbs. I ordered the Q21 cores at no extra charge based upon what I had read in the forum. What is the "extra full" set cushion? Is there an additional charge for that? Not sure that I want the high crown that you mention as the chair is very comfortable now. What would you recommend? I'm inclined to just leave well enough alone with the "butt cheeks" in the chair as my wife refers to it. Ha ha Also, do people use decorative pillows in these chairs? With a pillow behind my head, it seems that I sit too far forward.

Thanks again, and here's another photo of the H&M Austin Tilt Back High chair in gorgeous GR 2 Atticus Sable and our new Talyor King upholstered sofa purchased here locally- sorry for the grainy look.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140528_141227.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	6297

Oh, and Duane had one more question and tried to take a close-up photo of the Atticus Sable seat cushion- please look near the center of the photo.

I know that your write-up says that the Grade 2 Atticus Sable can have natural markings in the leather. This looks like a small black dot- any idea what it is? A bug bite or something? Pretty cool- I just love this chair!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140529_164953.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	6298

What is the "extra full" set cushion? Is there an additional charge for that?

Appx 10 to 15% overfill of the casing to take away any void, but it will add crown to the casing. No additional charge when done at time of order.
    Duane Collie

Thanks Duane. I know that you have recommended the Q21's in the Austin High Back Tilt Back chair but I am also not much of a fan of the beach ball look of the crowned casing so I decided against the extra full overstuffing. I really appreciate all the knowledge gained in your forum!

The Q21 extra firm core is for those who find the standard cushions 'too mushy' or non-supportive. It won't add to the crown because its the same size as the standard 18 oz cushion, it just compresses less. To avoid puddling, you need 'extra full' in either the 18 oz or the 21 oz cores, and that will give you a higher crown initially, but that will break in and relax over time some as well.
    Duane Collie