Thread: H&M Sundance 4716 Sofa in Capri Butternut

Default H&M Sundance 4716 Sofa in Capri Butternut

Arrived 03/27/09 in one of the best hides H&M has to offer, Grade 4 Capri Butternut (German leather). This is a large, heavy sofa. Should last a hundred years judging from the weight of it. It sits deep, you have to scoot back into the cushions to really get a feel for it. Great lines on it, looks very expensive (and it is!). This particular floor model, and this one only, will sell at a Grade 3 price as it was on a Market Special. Note, this is a big, deep, long and heavy sofa. You cannot get this through narrow openings. Sandalwood finish on the exposed wood.

Duane's Rating:

Comfort: 3, steeper back angle that some and you do have to scoot back. Not for those short in the inseam.
    Style : 5, a home run, the sides and back as elegant as the front.
    Hide: 5, Capri is THE hide for what we in the trade call "real leather". Butter soft, rich and elegant. Looks expensive and it is.
    Workmanship: 5, Flawless. No one does button-tufting like H&M.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sun1.jpg 
Views:	2544 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sun2.jpg 
Views:	1854 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sun3.jpg 
Views:	1507 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sun4.jpg 
Views:	1701 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	200  
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

gardengal Guest

Is this still available at your store? Is there a loveseat also in this style? Can you tell me the cost?
    I have been looking at H and M online at their website. I am looking to get a sofa and loveseat set. I love the lines of the Spencer tufted sofa. Can you get that with just the back tufted and not the arms? Do you think that would look OK? I also like the Kingwood and the September styles. I am not knowledgeable in the area of leather grades at all. Can you tell me a ballpark range of prices for a sofa and loveseat in leather ? I realize that the leather choice greatly affects the price. I just don't know how to make that selection and could use your guidance. I didn't realize that the origin of the hide is also a consideration. I live in Elkton, Maryland, so I could come to your store for a visit. It would be a drive, but your expertise would be worth it! Cordially, Mary Ann

Hi Mary Ann,

Yes it is, at a price of $ 4,463 (I normally sell a Grade IV leather in at $ 5,490). They do not offer a Sundance Loveseat as a standard item, but I know we could have one made (though it would probably be at the $ 5,490 price in the same hide).

The Sundance has a curve to the piece, both the front and back have a radius to them. The Spencer series is straight and has other distinctive features, so they will not match in per se, but would compliment one another. Same as the Kingwood. And yes, you can get the arms as non-tufted, H&M will make it the way YOU want it on most anything in the line. Depending on complexity of the mods, additional charges may apply.

If on a budget, the H&M Town and Country collection is the place to shop. Your choices are more limited, but the price points are terrific. I have all the T&C items posts here on the forum, together with a price sheet in EXCEL format that you can download and print out.

Otherwise, leathers run from Grade 1 (least expensive) to Grade 5 (most expensive).

Using the # 4716 as an example, lets price it out in various leathers. These are my store prices, landed to Alexandria VA. Internet customers get lower quotes, but they have to pay the delivery service fees which in the end equals things out for the most part. Local customer can choose to pickup themselves or use our store delivery truck and manpower to get purchases home (additional charges apply based on location).

Town and Country: Berkshire (GR 2) Harness Only $ 3,499
    Town and Country: Any Berkshire (GR 2) color $ 3,639

Grade 1 $ 3,422
    Grade 2 $ 4,088
    Grade 3 $ 4,463
    Grade 4 $ 5,490
    Grade 5 $ 6,810

Why do I have a Grade 4 on the floor at $ 4,463 - a grade 3 price? They offered the dealers a special buy-in for that particular hide (Capri series) for floor display and I took advantage of it. So that's a 1-only price for the sofa you see in the photos.

Thanks!

Elkton MD is a bit of a hike, about 90 to 100 minutes if traffic is flowing well.
    Duane Collie

Raider Guest

Hi Duane,

Just looking at the pricing pattern, I notice the various grades have various % price increases over the previous grade. That is, to move from grade 1 to grade 2, you see a 20% increase, but to move from grade 2 to 3 you only see a 9% increase. After that you're looking at almost 25% increases in price as you move up the grade ladder.

Assuming this pricing pattern is representative of the general line, are the price % increases proportional to leather quality, or do you think one grade really represents the best quality/price ratio.

From other posts, I realize individual leathers (e.g. Columbia) might be exceptions, but just wondering at how you would look at the grades generally.

Thanks!

I've not done the math to check on percentages per grade, but imagine that the formula is probably pretty consistent. Here's how I look at the H&M Grades:

Grade 1: Pretty much disposable. I don't bother with them as they are stiff and scratchy and look/feel cheap with the exception of COLUMBIA and FEDERAL. I still marvel at how Columbia is a grade 1.

Grade 2: This is where most people buy, and has the top selling Document and Cavalier n this category, as well as Caress, Weston and my favorite grade 2, Kipling. Most of these are FINISHED leathers (Pigmented).

Grade 3: Now we're into "real" leathers. We cross over from Finished into Aniline-dyed for the most part. This is when it gets to be fun, and when I personally open a carton and go "WOW" when I see a customers piece.

Grade 4, and 5: Simply put, the worlds finest hides and you will pay accordingly. These are luxury leathers, and are almost all exclusively European. There are the ones everyone gravitates too, as you can recognize them from across the room. Most however are put off by the price and drop back to Grade 3 or 2 at the end of the day.

Leather is also a commodity item, and subject to dollar conversions. The Euro is strong against the dollar so that comes into play on European hides, where as Pacific Rim leather is not so much affected by exchange rates. Grades of leather as PRICING Grades, not quality grades, so country of origin and the cost of money is a big factor in determining that.
    Duane Collie