Thread: Cleaning and conditioning old sofa

Marjflowers Guest

Default Cleaning and conditioning old sofa

So now I know about the importance of regular cleaning and conditioning leather furniture. The problem is I DIDN'T know this when I bought a leather sofa nine years ago. Basically, I've dusted it, cleaned it with a damp cloth, and occasionally used those leather wipes you can buy at Walmart.

So my question is what do I do now? Should I start conditioning it at this late date? Or is it just a waste of money at this point? And if I need to start, what do I use? I found a sticker under one of the cushions that says to use Leather Master products -- one if it's aniline, and a different one if it's corrected. The problem is I'm not sure which it is. I'm pretty sure it isn't aniline since the cat scratch marks show up very light against the navy leather. Also, it looks rather flat and lifeless compared to my Capri Claret recliner. But I'm not certain.

Other than the cat scratches, the sofa still is in excellent condition. Of course, it has hardly been used at all (except by the cats as a launch pad to the top of the cat tree. It certainly looks too good to even consider replacing it. Besides, I have lots of other projects I want to do first. So I want this sofa to last and to look as good as it possibly can for as long as it can.

Recommendations?

Many thanks!

Default Re: Cleaning and conditioning old sofa

Its never too late to start properly cleaning and conditioning your leather. While you can't restore it, you can prevent further deterioration. Aniline products will never hurt a finished leather, they are just not as strong. Those made for Finished leathers have more 'juice' to penetrate the topcoat is all.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Marjflowers Guest

Can I get the cleaner and conditioner from you? No hurry -- I haven't conditioned the sofa in nine years; I can't imagine a few weeks will make much difference.

Sure! Its $ 39.50 for a kit, specify either for FINISHED leather or ANILINE and you can PayPal to dcollie@keepingroom.com or call the store with a credit card. Shipping is included at that price. You get an 8 oz bottle of cleaner and 8 oz bottle of conditoner.
    Duane Collie

jackgrimes Guest

It is very reasonable. I want to know if it cleans the entire sofa with the finishing or anything else will be needed for it. In how many days will I get the delivery? Any help will be appreciated. This website is also helpful.

It is a complete kit, usually goes out the same day ordered via Priority Mail from my store in Virginia.
    Duane Collie

Marjflowers Guest

Wow!!! I cleaned and conditioned my 9-year-old sofa this morning, and it looks so much better! The difference is fairly subtle, but the leather now has a slight glow (for lack of a better word), and it doesn't look so dead. It really does look almost like it did when it was new.

Color me happy!

It does make a difference! I'm no longer surprised when I ask folks that come in my store if they clean and condition their leather furniture - I would guess only about 10 % do. But it makes it look so much better and last longer - should be something every owner does to their nice leather pieces from time to time.
    Duane Collie