Thread: Marquetry

Marjflowers Guest

Default Marquetry

I'm jumping ahead to my next project -- a low bookcase/ TV stand for one wall of my living room. I want something that will be not just functional, but also a work of art that will reflect my eclectic style. I came a cross some pictures of tables, chests, etc. that feature marquetry. One table that spoke to me was a table with marquetry/inlay (not sure of the difference) with a ginkgo leaf pattern. I'm in love, but for a place to hold my TV/ cable box/ blue ray player, etc., a table top won't work -- I'm going to need shelves. I'd also like for the unit to have a bookshelf for displaying treasured art books.

What I'm thinking is a low slelving unit approx. 42-52" wide, and around 30" high, with design elements on the front-facing frame. A simple design -- just something that sets it apart from a basic shelving unit, console, or whatever that incorporates a motif of leaves, twigs, or other organic-y touches.

Any ideas where I might start?

I assume this is going to be a pricey piece, and this project is in my overall plan for sometime next year.

Suggestions appreciated!

Default Re: Marquetry

There is a lot you can do with something like this, the limits are generally your imagination and pocketbook! Some of the best pieces I have seen are done not by the complexity of design, but of the beauty of the wood itself. We are so used to production shop woods, when you get something exotic that is hand-done in a fine lumber, then that wood becomes the focal point. For example, this simple design just knocked me out when I saw it - it was stunning, and look how basic the form is...cherry frame with tiger shelves.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ENT3.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	6364
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Marjflowers Guest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	6365I remember seeing that piece, and it's beautiful. I recall your description of how sturdy it is!

Here's the picture I first saw online that got me thinking in a completely different direction. I contacted the artist, but he's not working any longer. That's when I realized that as you said, the only limits are imagination and $$$$. The thought of spending over $2000 for something to hold my TV makes me feel a little sick, but somehow, paying that for art seems totally reasonable. Go figure.

That inlay work is not particularly hard to do or even that costly. We have done that on plenty of pieces here in my store for customers.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Marjflowers Guest

Well, that's a good news/bad news thing! The good news -- I can probably get what I want. The bad news -- I'm going to have to figure out what the heck I want!