Thread: Big Man Recliner

adls53 Guest

Default Big Man Recliner

Any recommendations on recliner or rocker-recliner for a 450# 6'1' tall big man. Fabric or leather is OK. Thanks.

Default Re: Big Man Recliner

Did I read that right? 450 lb? If so, there is no recliner made today that can take that kind of weight. Leggett and Platt recently came out with a Super Heavy Duty mechanism and its good for 325lb, prior to that new model the highest rated mechanism was 275 lb. If 450 lb then the unit will fail in a relatively short period of time and it will not be warrantied. You are going to want to stay in a solid wood, stationary chair with ottoman and have the frame reinforced on the build, and perhaps have other parts of the chair increased in strength (springs, webbing, extra steel banding, etc). to prevent pre-mature failure.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

adls53 Guest

Thanks drcollie. Yes, 450lb is right (working on it). I currently use a Golden Technologies PR501L26D lift chair (recliner) rated at 500lb and it is very sturdy but not as comfortable as I would like. I have had 2 La-Z-Boy Bigman chairs that lasted about 5 years each before the wood back (plywood) frame broke (mechanisms held up). They were relatively comfortable. On-line, I have seen Lane (Comfortking) and a few other low end recliners rated at 450-500lb. However, none look or are priced in a manner that give much confidence that they would be a durable chair (plus saw several poor reviews). I have not run across any higher end units in this weight capacity range except for the motorized units (like Golden Technologies). Thanks again.

adls53 Guest

Hello Duane,
    Can you recommend a reclining chair and ottoman. Is the B&Y Austin reclining chair and ottoman still available? I like brown leathers. Cost? Thanks.

adls53 Guest

Sorry that was a Hancock & Moore Austin (not B&Y).

My top seller is the H&M # 8131NB and 2038NB Austin High Back Series Tilt Chair. By far. Probably the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in, actually. Sorry, can't do pricing on the forum - please call the store.
    Duane Collie

Woodman Guest

So, Duane, do I understand you to be saying that the 2038NB Austin High Back Series Tilt Chair would be an appropriate choice for a 450 pound man? I also weigh 450 pounds, and I’ve been searching the forum for this sort of advice and came upon this thread. The 2038NB had been my choice even before seeing this thread. Currently I’m watching TV on a leather sofa (with no recline – I also use an ottoman), and I get a little “faux recline” by using a lumbar pillow, but I think that I’d like an Austin for the tilt functionality, if you think it would be an appropriate choice for me. If not, I would venture into a stationary Austin high back chair and ottoman (or perhaps some other similar chair that has a wider seat, if such is available – see below), and use a pillow.

However, if you do think that the 2038NB is an appropriate choice for me, would you also recommend (per your above post) that I get H&M to reinforce the frame and perhaps have other parts of the chair increased in strength (springs, webbing, extra steel banding, etc.), as you suggested above? What are the “etc.’s” that you refer to that also should be reinforced? Also, I would think that you would recommend extra full Q21 or even 28 cores for this type of build, correct? Additionally, I understand that the interior width dimension of the 2038NB is 21”.

I think I’d be happier with a 22” to 24” interior width. Is that a mod that H&M can do? The chair-and-a-half 8140NB/8139NB also would work, but it’s wider than I need, and perhaps too wide for the space (although I could squeeze it in if I had to). I also could probably get by with the standard width, but wider (22” to 24”) would be nicer for me. (By the way, what is the difference between the 8140NB and the 8139 NB? I can’t find this out anywhere on the web.)

If you think that the 2038NB is an appropriate chair for me, I was thinking I’d like it and the 8131NB ottoman, both in Capri Crème Class 4 Unprotected. I’ve been reading about leather on the forum and haven’t digested it all yet, but as I’d like to have this chair for 20 years, I would like the leather to hold up on it. Actually, I’m thinking about ordering 4 of these chair-and-ottoman combinations in the same color, and putting 2 in my media room, 1 in my office for a reading chair, and 1 in my master bedroom. As I say, I’m undecided about the choice of leather class, as I’m still learning (via reading here) about choices in the various classes. But I see that you seem to think that the dyed leathers are much nicer, but perhaps the higher class leathers (number-wise) are not so forgiving re: spills, other things equal. I am looking for the cream color, not white, although in my media room I am going for white Can Am media storage and AV/HTPC-housing cabinets. The walls of the media room are a light golden-shade color, and the house has a modern feel to it, not the traditional feel, which I would associate with the darker, browner colors, etc. I think the cream color will give the media room, which is going to be crowded with metal Can Am cabinets, a less busy feel and a lighter feel than a darker leather would. Ergo the white Can Am cabinets and cream colored 2038NB’s. There’s a lot of light stain-varnished oak wood in this room too, which also argues for lighter shades. Other acceptable color choices in the H&M “white” family of colors would be: Equestrian Dove Class 3 Unprotected (aniline dyed), Caress Porcelain Class 2 Protected (aniline dyed), Caress Ivory Class 2 Protected (aniline dyed), Supple Pearl Class 1 Protected (aniline dyed), and Kip Shell Class 1 Protected (not sure if aniline dyed or painted). The Porcelain and Kip Shell may be a little too white colored, i.e., not cream-colored-enough for my taste. So I’m probably looking at the Capri Crème, Equestrian Dove, Caress Ivory, or Supple Pearl.

With respect to wood finishes, I was looking for a light oak finish, but H&M’s web site doesn’t show such an option. The closest I might come is Waxed Pine. The fireplace mantle is light oak, and the woodwork in the adjoining open plan room is light oak. Same with my office. Any ideas? The bedroom will have some darker furniture pieces in it, so I could go a different route in that room.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but if I’m going to spend the considerable money to buy 4 of these, I really could stand to have your advice. Thank you for your time answering me; if you think it would be more appropriate for me to call you and pay you for your time to discuss this, I’m happy to do this also. I see that you charge $30 per 15 minute increments, and I think that is a fair rate for your level of expertise and straight shooter counsel that you demonstrate on the web site, especially given the amount I am thinking of investing in these chairs and ottomans.

I’m in the process of renovating this house I recently purchased and would like to move into it over the next couple of weeks. I understand that lead time for purchase of these chairs with these stock leathers (assuming no width mods) would be 8 to 10 weeks. So it’s probably (past) time for me to be putting together an order, so that I can minimize the length of time I would be living in the house without seating.

I’m partially disabled, which in part accounts for the 450 pound weight. I work from home, so I spend a lot of time there, and comfortable seating will be much appreciated when I’m not seated at my computer working. I’ll probably follow this post up with a similar post (in this or another forum category) asking about recommendations for someone of my weight for bed-frame-and-(firm)-mattress, an office chair, and a chair mat for the office (a chair mat for use on hard wood floors, not carpet – ideally, I’d like a clear mat that I could place over a 142” x 108” section of hard wood in my office, so I could roll around on the mat to my heart’s content and still see the newly installed hardwood under the mat). Ideas appreciated – thanks!

(By the way, I have a BMW R75/7 and a BMW KRS1100 in my garage. I’m perhaps too disabled to ride either at the current time, but I’m still holding on to them in case someday I once again can ride …) Thanks! Tom

I think you would want to try out the chair in person, I suspect it will be too small for you (Austin Tilt Back), that's my initial thought. Only a test sit will tell you for sure, however in my experience with folks coming into my store that are your size, I usually put them in a H&M Austin Chair and a Half with the matching ottoman. That seems to work really well. We then reinforce the frame and go to a 28 oz seat cushion (standard is 18 oz and extra firm is 21 oz). This seems to work well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8140NB_Austin_SO_PR.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	9054

If you really want to try the Tilt Back, then we can look into a custom size on one perhaps. I have done it many times on stationary, not sure if we can do the Tilt Back, depends on the service duty rating of the hinge joint and strut. What I would need to know is your height, width at your shoulders and also at the buttocks when seated, then perhaps we can widen so it doesn't pinch. Be aware this would not be an inexpensive chair! Smart money would be to do one first, before buying multiple units. Option # 2 is to go to the factory and meet with Jimmy Moore (I can set this up), and if anyone can build you a comfortable, custom chair it will be Jimmy. That will involve a trip to Hickory NC during a weekday, however.

With any white or off-white leather, you will be into finished or semi-aniline, there really are no pure anilines in that color range. Angelo series is very nice, and a GR 2. Caress & Kip are fine, I'd pass on the Supple series.

Current build time on stock frames with in-stock leathers is around 5 weeks, then shipping delivery time from 3 to 5 weeks depending on your location. The 5% off sale is on now through Sept 6th, so a good time to order.

Any properly made 8-bolt mortise and tenon bed will be sturdy and no problem. As to office chairs, H&M makes some that should work, the screw-jack models. I don't think the pneumatic power lift units will have the durability and would experience a premature strut failure.

Nice BMW's! I'm down to just (1) bike now, my GS1200.....best cycle I have ever owned by a wide margin!
    Duane Collie

Some others to consider -

Emilio - 26.25" Inside width
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...hair-&-Ottoman

Highlands - 31" IW
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...ighlands-Chair

Parisian - 30" IW

Sundance - 30.5 IW

Utah - 24.75" IW
    http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...h-Tufted-Chair

The problem will be trying to find one to test out.