I decided to fix up my garage after seeing how nice a couple of my pals have theirs done up. It's a fairly big space 19' x 32' with 12' ceilings but I figured I could knock it out in two weekends and for a couple hundred bucks in paint and some inexpensive flooring. We built the house 14 years ago and the garage was basic unpainted drywall with a poor tape job on it, so I figured I would do it right and make it look like a car showroom. How long could it take? I worked 12 and a half hours in there today (third all-day spent so far) and I'm only about 1/3 the way done. EGADS. I decided at first to have inside-the-house quality tape joints and corners. This plan was abandoned after the first day when my wife came out and says to me "At the rate you are going Michelangelo, you won't finish this in 2014, and possibly not even in 2015 It's a G A R A G E , not the Sistine Chapel - don't worry if you can see the taped joints, just paint over them". She's right you know...

When did paint get so expensive? I haven't done a home improvement project in a few years - and I was stunned at the cost of paint and how much bare drywall is sucking up of both the primer/sealer and the paint itself. So far my paint bill is about $ 400 and I might need to get some more. And I've got $ 150 worth of base and edge molding that i thought would cost about forty bucks....which it didn't. The the floor I have picked out is going to be two grand....sheesh. But when i'm done, its going to look GREAT. Since I'm closed at the store tomorrow, I'll be able to get in there another 12 hours tomorrow and hopefully will be halfway done by end of the day.

Oh yeah, its a lot more tiring to go up and down a 10' stepladder all day long to paint the ceiling when you're 60 years old than it is when you're 35!