Thread: vanguard sofa

jlouie Guest

Default vanguard sofa

Hi, I am about to move into a condo and am looking to get a new sofa. I bought a sofa about a year ago from Ashley's and it was the biggest mistake of my life. The center cushion was noticeably sunk after just 3 months of use. So I've been doing some research online to see what to look for in a sofa that will last me a bit. I am a student and cannot afford to pay 400 dollars every year to replace my sofa. I am located in Memphis, TN and my selection is severely limited.

The only furniture store that I have been able to locate that is not a big chain store (like havertys or ashleys) is Samuel's Furniture. I went there and took a look over the weekend and the saleswoman says that a vanguard sofa would be the best for my budget and what I am looking for. I am looking to spend less than $2000. The piece that she pointed me to more specifically is a Vanguard Summerton 610s. Does anyone have any experiences with this brand and also if $1650 is a good price for this piece with the lowest grade of fabric? If this is not nice, can someone point me toward a brand or store that might fit what I am looking for more. Thank you very much for all the knowledge you have shared with me thus far.

Welcome to the forum!

How'd you like to have the best made sofa in the USA for within your budget? Let's make up for that lousy Ashley sofa and get you a Hancock and Moore. Since you are a student, I think that its appropriate that once a year or so, make a special effort for those in school and not in the mainstream work force just yet get a decent piece. Let's take that same $ 1,650 and if you would like to do it, I'll sell you a new H&M #9840 City Sofa in either Cavalier Henna or Cavalier Mocha leather for that amount. Sort of like a scholarship deal. No sales tax, the freight would run appx. $ 170 in addition to that. If you prefer fabric, you can have any of the Town and Country Fabrics for the same price (take the leather!)

FYI, the H&M is to Vanguard what Prime Rib is to a Hot Dog.

This deal is good for (1) sofa only. Don't tell anyone else.....sshhhhh!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

jlouie Guest

Duane,

That is a very interesting offer. I do not know much about Hancock and Moore. Do you mind giving me some information about the sofa you stated? Thanks.

Jack

jlouie... let me jump in to the discussion so you can hear from another forum member. The Hancock and Moore brand is probably the finest American made leather sofa available. It is well constructed, finely tailored, very comfortable and has great looks. Duane has a brick and mortar store in Alexandria, Va. I have visited the store a number of times and have purchased (ordered non-stocked pieces) from the store. This is an fantastic deal he is offering you, but he is without a doubt one of the most generous merchants I have ever met. If you go to the resource photo section of this site you can see photos of H&M products and there will be a City Sofa I expect. Also go to the Hancock & Moore web site and do a search to see the City Sofa and see more information about the manufacturer.

Jack, if you take a look at the LEATHER forum, you'll find hours and hours worth of reading on H&M. Go to their website at www.hancockandmoore.com as well.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by jlouie View Post
    Duane,

That is a very interesting offer. I do not know much about Hancock and Moore. Do you mind giving me some information about the sofa you stated? Thanks.

Jack
    Hancock and Moore is a fine leather furniture brand that builds pieces to last when proper care is taken. I was at a showroom this weekend and the sales person said that's furniture you buy to last you 30-40 years. I would go to Hancock and Moore website and see if you have a dealer nearby so you can test a piece. I can't comment on Vanguard having never sat in one of their pieces but I trust Duane's judgement in this.

I have sat in the City sofa and can say that I am thinking of going back to school for the deal Duane is offering.

The city sofa dimensions are a little different than the Vanguard you looked at so you may want to compare them. Mainly the inner dimensions and arm height http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1024 and here is the Leather types Duane is talking about http://www.hancockandmoore.com/leather.asp?page=5&

jarrodsmorton Guest

Duane,

I would be careful about comparing Vanguard to a hot dog. If you bought one of their sofa's and split it apart with a Hancock and Moore, you would find they have the exact same frame and suspension system. It is also manufactured in Hickory. Vanguard buys some pretty expensive leather as well. A hot dog would be more like Broyhill or Ashley. Another words, Vanguard competes with Hancock and Moore pretty close.

Gus Guest

Default City Sofa...when married...

I, too, am searching for a new sofa AND chair. I have read several threads about the "married" program both here and elsewhere. Are the leathers for the City Sofa cut and sewn in China? Are they a lesser quality than the others available at the higher price or are they the same or similar top grade that I read about on the H & M website? And...if I order a sofa and chair, will they be of the same die lot?

I have to say that the information and advice you have both here and on the garden.com threads has really helped me feel like a more informed consumer. Thank you!!!

Laxplaya7974 Guest

I wanted to chime in as I just purchased a Hancock and Moore City Sofa from Duane and Hancock and Moore is, in my opinion, the best manufacturer on the market. I did a lot of research before purchasing the Sofa and many people also agree with that. What got me looking at Hancock and Moore is that my girlfriends parents have a few pieces from them (a chair that is 25 years old and still looks amazing!!).

Also, the deal he is giving you is quite substantial. I can tell you that Boyles Furniture in North Carolina (supposedly where you go to get a good deal) has the exact same sofa for 2249.99 plus 170 dollars shipping (the shipping is for the DC area). So, his price is amazing! Plus, many other retailers are selling it for even more than that!

I didn't mention to Duane that I just graduated and am going back to graduate school when I just bought my sofa.. any deals?? haha just kidding. Even without a school discount, Duane is one of the best people to buy furniture from (knows everything about Hancock and Moore).

Gus,

Yes, the Married Covers for the CITY series in H&M Town and Country are Cavalier Henna and Cavalier Mocha, both cut and sewn in China, and the tannery is in China as well. I like Cavalier for a grade 2 finished leather. Its a wee glossy, but it looks and feels nice. Its not a top leather (no Finished leather ever is), but it looks good and its priced aggressively. There will be a significant price difference to come off Cavalier and go into the handles on the main leather wheels.

Matches are decent. Most finished leather doesn't vary much in color, because remember that its basically 'painted' with a spray color technique. Dye lot variance is much higher in the anilines, which are dipped and soaked in color.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie