Bob Barrow, owner of Warren Chair Works called me on Saturday and told me he had sold his company after 30 years making some of the finest windsor chairs in Warren RI. I'm going to miss Bob, he's the perennial 'California Surfer" Artisan that I spend many an hour loading up a truck with his chairs as we swapped stories back and forth. In the 90's and early 2000's, I was picking up chairs from him every 6 weeks and I would sell close to 600 per year, that has dropped off to a trickle as that style is currently not in favor - but he makes one of the best chairs on the market today. The new owners will take over next week, but of course it won't be the same - at least for me. I bought my first set of chairs from Warren Chair Works in 1986, so after 28 years of business dealings you DO forge friendships that can't be easily replaced. Bob would meet me there any time, day or night and on the weekends to load up my Freightliner, and I always appreciated that as it would make a 3-day trip do-able as a two day, saving me one whole day.

So Bob, if you read this, go down to St Thomas V.I., get that place atop the hill that you liked, and call me when you're settled and I'll come down. We can hang out in our Tommy Bahama shirts, down some silly tropical drinks and swap stories of all the characters in the business until the wee hours of the 'morn. Well done and a good run, you deserve your retirement.