A few years ago I decided to switch from a coil-spring mattress to a 100% latex mattress made by Latex International in Shelton, Connecticut. The reason for my switch was allergies to dust mites which thrive in a conventional mattress.

For those looking to learn as much somewhat unbiased information about Latex should watch the YouTube videos posted by MattressEducation101. This guy seems fair and after having watched dozens of videos about Latex, he seemed the most honest and trustworthy.

Even though I bought a Latex mattress, I have learned a few things since, but remain happy with my purchase.

First, just because the mattress is 100% latex doesn't mean it's 100% "natural" latex from a rubber tree. Most latex mattresses are made from synthetic latex. Synthetic latex is still better than a standard mattress or memory foam mattress but not quite as good as natural latex.

Second, two methods exist for making a latex mattress. The most common is the Talalay method and the original method is the Dunlop process. The Dunlop method is the best and almost always uses natural latex.

If I were to buy another latex mattress, it would be a Dunlop 100% natural latex mattress. A true natural latex mattress has a life expectancy of fifty years.