Thread: Latex Mattresses.

ConnecticutYankee Guest

Default Latex Mattresses.

A few years ago I decided to switch from a coil-spring mattress to a 100% latex mattress made by Latex International in Shelton, Connecticut. The reason for my switch was allergies to dust mites which thrive in a conventional mattress.

For those looking to learn as much somewhat unbiased information about Latex should watch the YouTube videos posted by MattressEducation101. This guy seems fair and after having watched dozens of videos about Latex, he seemed the most honest and trustworthy.

Even though I bought a Latex mattress, I have learned a few things since, but remain happy with my purchase.

First, just because the mattress is 100% latex doesn't mean it's 100% "natural" latex from a rubber tree. Most latex mattresses are made from synthetic latex. Synthetic latex is still better than a standard mattress or memory foam mattress but not quite as good as natural latex.

Second, two methods exist for making a latex mattress. The most common is the Talalay method and the original method is the Dunlop process. The Dunlop method is the best and almost always uses natural latex.

If I were to buy another latex mattress, it would be a Dunlop 100% natural latex mattress. A true natural latex mattress has a life expectancy of fifty years.

Default Re: Latex Mattresses.

I was looking at lower-end latex mattresses and was quite put off by the fact that they are rolled up like a carpet and delivered that way with all the air squeezed out. After the package is opened, the mattress decompresses over a period of hours and is then ready for use. Some of the buyers expressed dissatisfaction with the fact that you can't sit on the edge of these latex mattresses, because it isn't any stiffer at the edges than anywhere else. You can sit on the edge of any other type of mattress--at least any type of mattress that doesn't come rolled up in a cylinder. Maybe some day I'll spring for a Royal Pedic!

ConnecticutYankee Guest

If you buy locally like I did the mattress isn't compressed. In order to ship latex or memory foam economically, the mattress has to be compressed. The key is to buy from the right retailer. If you do this, your mattress will be compressed temporarily (just long enough to ship it) instead of being compressed for months on end.

marys1000 Guest

I was thinking of starting a thread - "if you went from coil spring to latex - what are your thoughts now?"

I've only slept on coil. Got a latex topper once and it was too firm which surprised me, I like firm! So the idea of trying latex is a big committment. Getting the right firmness, which type,
    can I adjust to not being able to sit on the edge - yes the edges are a big concern.

I got on, briefly, a Jamison latex over foam at a furniture store. Felt ok. Not sure about the foam part?

I would like my next mattress to be my last but I'm 58. That won't be another 50 years

It would be nice to have good options at a medium price point so the decision doesn't feel so momentous.

Les_Garten Guest

Quote Originally Posted by marys1000 View Post
    I was thinking of starting a thread - "if you went from coil spring to latex - what are your thoughts now?"

I've only slept on coil. Got a latex topper once and it was too firm which surprised me, I like firm! So the idea of trying latex is a big committment. Getting the right firmness, which type,
    can I adjust to not being able to sit on the edge - yes the edges are a big concern.

I got on, briefly, a Jamison latex over foam at a furniture store. Felt ok. Not sure about the foam part?

I would like my next mattress to be my last but I'm 58. That won't be another 50 years

It would be nice to have good options at a medium price point so the decision doesn't feel so momentous.
    Build your own Mattress with Foam By Mail, I did. There are forums that will help with how to construct the cores and layers.

It will seem very firm till you get used to it. Which is strange by how the samples feel.

A Natural Latex Mattress is supposed to last for the rest of your life.

We Love ours and wouldn't want anything else.

We've had ours 6 years. We built a $5000+ mattress for less than $1000

Quote Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
    A Natural Latex Mattress is supposed to last for the rest of your life.
    My grandfather was in the furniture business in West Texas for many years. He and my Nana built their dream home in 1959. The house was furnished with the best furniture possible, including Henredon furniture and a double (the standard at the time) latex mattress in their guest room.

In 1989 I inherited the bedroom set and mattress. I still use it today, it's extremely comfortable. Sixty years later, the rest of their lives and probably the rest of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by marys1000 View Post

I have been sleeping on the pure latext mattress since 2014. I am a big boy, so when I got it, I went with 4 x 3" layers (not 3 x 3"). After 8 years, mine feels like new, but did yellow a bit, which I only know when I rotate layers.

So far, imo, it's the best bed ever... But, I never did try quality non-latex mattress, so I cannot speak to that.