Thread: Help Please....The perfect color brown leather...Aspen Tobacco?

Laura C Guest

Default Help Please....The perfect color brown leather...Aspen Tobacco?

I have to say this is the most helpful blog I have ever read regarding furniture and leather education. I have spent the last two weeks reading through the blogs and learned SO MUCH!!! Thank you all!

My question is...I am looking for a protected leather (I have 3 dogs and my family is super hard on furniture - enough said). I have read that the Antelope and Aspen leathers are the readers favorites and so those are the leather "Families" that I am studying. I am looking for a leather to cover the H&M Ruby Club sofa. I really like the antelope almond, nugget and chino options, but I am trying to find an image of a piece that was done in aspen tobacco to make my choice. Would you please post an image of a piece of furniture that was covered in aspen tobacco?

Please educate... Do you suggest a timeless brown "protected" leather option that has that beautiful pebble dimension?
    I have been saving for years to purchase the perfect piece of furniture that will fit the life style of my family, I would LOVE your advice.

Any help would be much appreciated

Default Re: Help Please....The perfect color brown leather...Aspen Tobacco?

Great! Glad you are finding the forum to be useful.....

Those 'favorites' are several years old and out of date. I no longer recommend Antelope as 1) its a Grade 4 leather (expensive) and 2) I've seen a few instances where its not holding up well and peeling. It has a very thin topcoat on it, and I question the sustainability of the hide over time. The Aspen on the other hand, remains a solid choice in its category. Any and all photos are here in the LEATHER section, in RESOURCE PHOTOS. I have no additional images tucked away somewhere.

Personally, I only buy aniline leathers myself. That's the 'real' leather. I think the whole 'protected' thing (that is nothing more than painted) is over-sold and I'll take a hide with natural grain and markings any day over a processed one. I have kids and dogs, they've never damaged our aniline leathers and I've never had a spill that has been permanent. That's over ten pieces of leather furniture in 20 years, and my next one will be an aniline, too.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

hglaber Guest

Samples are better than pictures.

Laura C Guest

Thank you for the information and for such a quick reply!

I have another question....Is there a way to tell which H&M leathers are semi-aniline? Their website only states if it is "protected" or "unprotected". Also, do you recommend a chocolate brown colored leather that is semi-aniline, matte finish (or low sheen) and soft? I know I am asking a lot, but I would really appreciate your opinion.

There is not other then getting into the price book, which every dealer has and should be happy to let you browse. Most semi-anilines will not be matte - you have to go into the premium full anilines to get that in leathers such as Capri, Quintessence, Arizona, and they are GR 4. One exception to that is Caress - which is actually a finished hide but has a matte finish on it and has proven to be a solid performer, if a little boring as its monochromatic. A lot of H&M employees buy Caress for their own home use, including Jimmy Moore himself - and he can have anything in the line, of course.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.