Thread: Arhaus Furniture - Glenboro Sofa - Cambridge Collection by Thomas Bain Leather

deskjockey Guest

Question Arhaus Furniture - Glenboro Sofa - Cambridge Collection by Thomas Bain Leather

Arhaus Furniture carries this Glenboro Sofa. They have the Cambridge and Camden collection. This Glenboro sofa is a part of their Cambridge Collection. Made by Thomas Bain Leather in Conover, North Carolina.

Any comments, thoughts or recommendations regarding this piece, Arhaus Furniture and Thomas Bain Leather?

Asking price is $4,199 with Grade S leather. Is this item fairly priced or over priced?

Think Arhaus Furniture has several salty reviews from their employees on a website. If true, this is unfortunate.

Anything else identical or similar to this available on the market from a different retailer or wholesaler?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glenboro.JPG 
Views:	1426 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	6573
    Last edited by deskjockey; 10-19-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Default Re: Arhaus Furniture - Glenboro Sofa - Cambridge Collection by Thomas Bain Leather

Sounds like a very good price for "Grade 5" leather, and at that size piece. The Arhaus Glendora is eight-way hand-tied and a hardwood frame , however I don't know about the actual strength of the build. A good test is lifting one corner of the piece and see if there is any flex in the frame. I personally have a preference for three cushions vs. two given the width of this Sofa. The only way you could get even close to that price with Hancock and Moore would be in Town and Country covers and they would not be "Grade 5". The H&M City has a similar but not identical style to this piece, only it is a good bit smaller in most dimensions. If you want a high-style H&M Sofa that has a little less width than this Arhaus model you should go see the Sundance. Again to approach this price range you would need to stick with the Town and Country Program leather covers. Non T&C Program styles and covers are going to be at least 15% higher. One can find quite a number of Brands and Styles of Leather Sofas in this Net $4,000 price range, but not in "Grade 5" leather.

deskjockey Guest

Default Re: Arhaus Furniture - Glenboro Sofa - Cambridge Collection by Thomas Bain Leather

This particular Glenboro floor model had the Grade S (not Grade 5) leather as noted in the picture below. I don't really like the distressed look of the leather.

How would Grade 0 be relative to Grade S (its cheaper by 1,200 bucks)?

There is one Hancock and Moore dealer in the entire Northeast Ohio Cleveland area and I doubt that they carry Sundance.

I like this one because of the two seat cushion not necessarily because it has a high back.

Name:	glenboro.JPG 
Views:	1076 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	6574

Name:	glenboro in store.jpg 
Views:	1139 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	6575

Went to Crate and Barrel also yesterday. Most of their furniture has the sinuous spring system in the range of $1500 to $2300. Some designs were very good but they were not comfortable. I am gonna pass on Crate and Barrel.
    Last edited by deskjockey; 10-19-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Sorry I was thinking your Grade 5 comment was Class 5 leather claim. I know when I was searching for H&M inventory within a reasonable drive, I think there were at least two and maybe three Dealers in Columbus, Two in Cincinnati and One in Tipp City. I didn't look into the Cleveland area. I did send you a Private Message on this Forum to share a little bit more data about my recent purchases.

None of the "Lifestyle" furniture operations delivery a premium product. Some of it is downright landfill material. Here's an older article from Smart Money magazine that shows how they make their pieces, makes for an interesting read - the forum won't let me post the link but do a google search for POTTERY BARN UNSTUFFED and you can find it easily enough. Arhaus falls into the same category as those in the article, as does Anthropology, etc. You pays your money, you takes your choice, but a real furniture store will usually give you your best bang for the buck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

deskjockey Guest

Thank you very much for pointing me to Pottery Barn Unstuffed and make me aware of Arhaus Furniture and Anthropology Furniture. The article in Smart Money magazine, October 2006, mentions 3 lifestyle furniture retailers, Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn.

deskjockey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    None of the "Lifestyle" furniture operations delivery a premium product. Some of it is downright landfill material. Here's an older article from Smart Money magazine that shows how they make their pieces, makes for an interesting read - the forum won't let me post the link but do a google search for POTTERY BARN UNSTUFFED and you can find it easily enough. Arhaus falls into the same category as those in the article, as does Anthropology, etc. You pays your money, you takes your choice, but a real furniture store will usually give you your best bang for the buck.
    Here is what I did. I contacted a furniture store repair store and asked the owner of the store which furniture stores carry decent furniture in Northeast Ohio. He suggested two names. This is perhaps something that other furniture buyers can consider doing in their area.

jsearley3364 Guest

Hello deskjockey,
    I too live in the Cleveland area. Can you tell me the response you received from the furniture repair owner?
    Thanks,
    jsearley3364