Thread: A Customer Service Fail

Default A Customer Service Fail

A customer in Texas purchased a table through the website of a local furniture chain. The table is defective, and the manufacturer has agreed to replace it.

The vendor wants to charge the customer $200 (a 20% restocking fee) in addition to approximately $300 for the cost of packing and shipping the table back to the manufacturer for replacement. As the customer puts it, "they want to charge me about $500 in return shipping fees and restocking fees (for a $1000 table)".
    Quote Originally Posted by BMUJS
    I bought a new table online from a local furniture store and had it delivered
    The table was delivered and assembled by the delivery man
    I noticed after delivery that the table had a wobbly base and noticeable tilt
    I alerted the merchant that the table was defective and that I wanted to return the table
    They requested photos and video showing the tilt and wobble, which I provided
    They acknowledged the defect and said their manufacturer would replace the table

Their return policy is listed in the terms and conditions web-page where it states:
    - orders that are returned or refused are subject to a 20% restock fee
    - delivery and freight costs of the returned items must be paid for by the customer

Also on this web-page, the warranty for merchandise is:
    - materials and products on this site are provided “as is” and without warranties of any kind, whether express or implied.
    - to the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, merchant disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement

Currently they want to charge me about $500 in return shipping fees and restocking fees (for a $1000 table)

Can they charge me to return or exchange a defective piece of furniture?

Default Re: A Customer Service Fail

I would think that elevated to Small Claims Court, a Judge would cut that local furniture store off right at the knees. That clearly is outside the realm of resasonable customer expectations as a consumer in what is normal business practices. I would think that customer could really bring the heat onto that store by calling the media, consumer protection agencies, state attorney generals office and finally a credit card chargeback for the whole amount if paid by credit card. Their policies are just plain unreasonable.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.