Thread: new member with question on cushions

Popeye1 Guest

Default new member with question on cushions

I am new on here, but have a question and decided to introduce myself. (If this is in the wrong section, feel free to let me know or just move it).
    I built a log recliner a while back, I used high density foam for the seat portion and for lack of other options used quilt batting for the back of the chair. (We used high density foam for the foot rest as well). I am building a new recliner and would like to find something better suited for the cushions. I feel that the seat needs to be softer and fill the space between the arms better. The quilt batting in the back actually works very well (and feels good for the seat portion also). I was hoping someone on here could recommend a type of cushion/foam that would be good for this application, and/or give me some advice on how to find it.
    Thank you for your help with this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recliner.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	6659  

Default Re: new member with question on cuchions

Looks like quite a project with a great result! My first thought on the seat cushion is that regardless of the bottom cushion materials the sitter will bottom-out (excuse the pun) if the cushion is resting on a solid wood surface. Obviously there are many chairs and benches in the world that use cushions in this way, but they are not trying to compete with Recliners. I can't see the design of your mechanism, so I don't know that there is any room for dropping the seat to allow for some sort of spring box or even a cushion with integrated springs. I'm sure someone on this forum will have some thoughts that more directly address your question regarding additional foam or batting choices, but this was what struck me as the predominant issue.

Search the internet for a place where you can buy a 16 oz Dupont Qualux seat core and then premium fiber fill for the back. Even with that, I'd not expect your project to approach the comfort levels of recliners available at furniture stores, there's more to the build than the cushion cores as you probably would suspect.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Popeye1 Guest

[QUOTE=wisejd;23799 My first thought on the seat cushion is that regardless of the bottom cushion materials the sitter will bottom-out (excuse the pun) if the cushion is resting on a solid wood surface. [/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that the seat does have sinuous springs installed. So if I can figure out the cushion it should actually be quite comfortable.
    Thanks for the help so far.