Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bradington Young Replacement Recliner Mechanisms

Default Bradington Young Replacement Recliner Mechanisms

If you are in need of a Bradington Young replacement mechanism for your recliner, here are some important things you need to know:

* Current price as of the date of this post is $ 250 for the mechanism and $ 35 for shipping

* There are no replacement mechanisms available for recliners made 1999 or prior

* Current mechanism is made by UltraMech, older recliners *may* have a Leggett and Platt in them. You must provide not only the recliner model number, but the date of manufacture in order to be assured of getting the right unit to fit your chair.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

marshallrjones Guest

Default Re: Bradington Young Replacement Recliner Mechanisms

I have six BY 4114s in various stages of (dis)repair. one pair manufactured in 1990, but their recliner mechanisms still work. One pair from February 2000 both need mechanisms. A rivet has just popped on one of the third set, manufactured 2009. Is the replacement process more than just attaching the four bolts on the bottom, plus screwing the mechanism onto the three mobile foot/leg pads, or is it more complicated than that? And incidentally, what are the wing nuts for?
    Last edited by marshallrjones; 02-20-2015 at 01:49 PM. Reason: There are three mobile foot parts, not two

Now that's a story..... six recliners? All the same model? All broken? I've never heard of anything like that before....are these in a commercial environment or some kind of hard use residential? Mechanism failures are relatively infrequent as a whole. I've not done a replacement personally, but those that have tell me they're not fun to do. The Wing Nuts on the older designs were to adjust the tension of the closing spring so you could make allowances for the weight of the user. Newer mechanisms have done away with those in most recliners.
    Duane Collie

Hello Duane,
    We purchased 2 4114s push-back wing -backed chairs, in 2010 and both mechanisms have now elongated holes where the large rivets go through, making the foot rests misaligned, and the chair looks terrible and the leather rubs.
    I should add, we don't abuse our chairs, and we have no pets nor kids.
    And now, it is time for new chairs.

Any recommendations for good to very good long-lasting recliners available to the west coast of Canada?

BrentB

While I don't know the dealers in your area, you can simply get either new mechanisms for your existing 4114's or all new recliners. The Mechs themselves are around $ 350 each shipped or so (haven't priced one - or shipping rates - in awhile. There is not a "better" mechanism on the market, those are Leggett and Platts in that unit. The rivets fail because you are slamming the footrest too hard or popping it open too fast. Too many sudden stops causes that. Be more gentle on the mechanisms when opening or closing and they won't do that. Or if replacing the recliners - go motorized, because they never wear out, the motor lifts them slow and gently.

I have shipped many recliners to Canadian Customers though we rarely ship them into Canada proper due to the high cost of customs and taxes, plus overall ship rates. There is a whole industry of warehouse receivers along the border towns and we ship to those, then my Canadian clients drive down to pick them up from there. Of course, all that is frozen due to Covid right now, and there is talk of re-opening the borders, but with Delta - who knows?
    Duane Collie

Duane,
    Thanks, that does make some sense, when I/we close the mechanisms, I suppose we are trying too hard to tuck the foot rests under the seat for the past 11+ years.

I'll source out what is available , we're on Vancouver Island, so that does make the sourcing a little more difficult, and I haven't found a furniture repair that carrys out mechanical repair on furniture yet.

Thank you sir,
    BrentB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211204_095902.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	14237

Looking for these to repair recliner footrest mechanism, anyone know what they are called and where to get?

You have sheared the rivets on the mech, they are not replaceable. You will need to order a new complete mechanism.

TiP: What causes that is two things, mostly it's the first one.

1) Slamming the recliner closed with your feet, try to be more gentle and slower in the movement (motorized recliners never have rivet shearing)

2) Getting out of the recliner when the footrest is open.
    Duane Collie

The tag on the bottom says: Chair 8004 OSG

If the mechanism has to be purchased, how would I know which make they used on this and where to find one? BTW, I have sprayed a dry lube on these a few times for good measure. I don't recall if these are prior to 1999. I believe Hooker now runs Brandington Young.

I would have to call B-Y to check on availability and their phones are wanky today. Looks like you have a swivel glider unit (wall hugger) which are more expensive. Plan on around $ 300 for the mech + shipping to your location. You have to order from a dealer of your choice. These are not the easiest to install and an upholsterer will charge $ 150 to $ 200 to do it. At this point if your recliner if over 20 years old, in most cases the leather is one its way out as is the seat core, you have to decide if its worth it to repair. Only about 5% of all recliners I see at 20 years old are worth repairing, those that were cleaned and conditioned regularly and the leather is still supple.
    Duane Collie