Thread: H&M kipling saddle vs Garfield fawn

cpatte2 Guest

Default H&M kipling saddle vs Garfield fawn

Any opinions on these leathers? Such a big investment that I want to do it right!
    I'm aiming for a medium to medium light brown natural looking leather that will age (ie distress) well over time. I love a more smooth (not pebble type) texture and do not really want something too uniform. As best I can tell these leathers should qualify but so hard to tell from small samples!
    Also, I have two big Labrador retrievers that will most certainly be helping to "age" the leather every time they sneak up on the sofa. So yeah it's gotta be pretty tough leather too!
    I appreciate very much anyone's opinion on either of these leathers! Thanks...
    This forum has been so helpful!

UNCLE PAULY Guest

Default Re: H&M kipling saddle vs Garfield fawn

Do you have or have you had leather furniture with these two dogs?
    Having had two boxers in my home with a leather sectional I know they can and probably will ruin good leather.
    Something to consider before making a big investment. Good luck.

Garfield has a deeper, richer color tone than Kipling, and is slightly slicker. Garfield may be the best looking leather in the line for seeing down into the color, but some people are put off my the slicker surface. It also varies in color tone from batch to batch. Kipling is a good, solid leather. Not as dramatic as Garfield, but I like the series enough to have it on my recliner at home.

Furniture isn't designed for pets - but having said that I don't see customers complaining about leather damage from dogs.....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

cpatte2 Guest

I've actually have a large leather ottoman that is the only piece of furniture that the dogs are allowed on. After 10+ years of use, I'm amazed that it looks as well as it does. The beating that the ottoman has taken like a champ is why I'm deciding to invest in a leather sofa.
    I certainly won't allow the dogs free reign on the sofa like they have with the ottoman, but the realty is that some times they will sneak up on it. That is why I was just seeing if anyone had an opinion on how these 2 leathers might differ in their ability to "age" gracefully under these circumstances. I feel like a leather with a higher degree of natural variation might do better than a leather with a really uniform appearance.
    The small sample sizes of the leathers makes it hard for me to know which leather might overall demonstrate more variation over the entire piece.
    Oh... and is there a reason why the "slicker" surface of Garfield bothers some people? Purely aesthetic reasons?
    Last edited by cpatte2; 12-03-2014 at 10:52 PM.

I don't think you will see a significant difference from Kipling to Garfield in wearability and aging.

Garfield has lots of color depth, where you can 'see down' into the leather and a glossier topcoat is part of that effect, hence slicker.
    Duane Collie

cpatte2 Guest

Okay so now I'm super frustrated. Got a CFA of Kipling saddle - a nice big sample. It really didn't have the variation and depth of color that I am looking for so I decided to go with the Garfield fawn. Yay finally got it- that's what I want. Oh but no that's too easy... Apparently the Garfield line has been discontinued! I really want to cry now. Back to square one.
    I am so disappointed now! Help please if there is a recommendation on a non discontinued line that is most similar to Garfied???

Well, that's a new one. I called H&M and the entire Garfield line is being dropped, but they haven't sent the dealer letter out yet. Now, just because its dropped doesn't mean you can't get it. What is your project? Did I get those samples for you or was it from another dealer? You may be able to get it still, but no time to wait on it. Whatever dealer you choose to work through can get busy and see what he can do on it. They will need a list of your pieces and you *may* have to pay a GR 4 price on it since it would be a special order to get the hides in at this point.
    Duane Collie

cpatte2 Guest

Well the local dealer called about availability today and was told it was not available due to being discontinued. It is for a single campaign sofa. I just called h&m myself to inquire about a similar leather (my local store doesn't know anymore than the swatches they have). H&M did not offer that it would still be possible to get Garfield. Their only advise on a similar leather was the Luggage line. ��

Luggage isn't even close to Garfield. I'll give you three tips.

1) As much as I love the ladies in Customer Service at H&M (they are the best in the industry!) they really don't know much about the leathers because they don't work with them. You will likely get poor leather advice from the customer service line on leather selection.

2) Even though I know consumers say "I'll go to the source and call the manufacturer myself" what happens is you will get the official response. Now the official response - while it won't be incorrect - doesn't work the angles on your behalf and you won't get to the people in the organization that can make this happen. It takes a knowledgeable dealer to work it for you. That's what we do. Consumers calling H&M are likely to become confused.

3) You should change dealers. Perhaps someone that perhaps knows whom to call to get that Garfield Fawn on your Campaign Sofa. I hear that guy at The Keeping Room is pretty good at getting the challenging things done.
    Duane Collie

cpatte2 Guest

Ha #3 is very tempting but unfortunately I am already pretty heavily invested here ($$). Plus, I always try to support my local business and they really have been helpful and I have spent a good bit of time with them looking at different sofas and leathers. I went by today after work and she had pulled some other samples for me to look through. She also talked with H&M to get a list of all the newly discontinued leathers (because if it is unavailable I will pick it!) and which of those had enough remaining hide that I could still use. Sadly they assured her that Garfield isn't gonna happen. I just gotta go with that on this one. It wouldn't feel right to drop a business at this point. I am sure I will eventually get just the right leather.
    The next piece, I will be checking here first I tend to commit and then research what I have just committed to!!
    I will say that in looking over samples again tonight, I really like the feel of Weston a lot. I am requesting a sample of the Weston Cane Burnished- out of all the dang samples we sure couldn't find one. The Weston Mocha is fantastic- love love the feel and seems to have a little of slickness that I like. Of course, Weston Mocha is being discontinued as well, but they still have some of the hide left if I opted for that. It is just darker than I want and has a hint of burgundy that I am trying to avoid.
    What a mess. See if it weren't for the dang internet I could have just ordered RH sofa out of a catalog and never would have realized the quality I was missing! Hopefully I will be posting pics of my new sofa before Easter