Thread: A Little Christmas Story...

Default A Little Christmas Story...

I'm an avid motorcycle rider, and hang out quite a bit on the ADV Rider forum (I own a BMW R1200GS). I'm always looking at the Flea Market to search for used parts for my bike, and saw this ad for a 2015 BMW, and you almost never see anyone selling a nearly new BMW. Here was the copy and the photo in the ad:

2015 GSAW For Sale: (It pains me to have to post this thread, but unfortunately not a week after I bought the bike, fell upon a serious hardship. Friend/Family Injured seriously, needs funds, hard to stomach having this while someone else suffers so for now I will have to live without this beautiful beast and help as much as I can.)
    Mileage: 300+ (Still climbing as I ride when it's nice) Not even broken in yet!
    Never dropped--no damage anywhere
    Warranty Through November 2017
    This bike is currently financed, so we will have to come to agreement how to fairly transfer all info once settled (Call me to discuss)
    Thanks for all the kind words and understanding. I will be back on this bike one day again, I know it! For now, someone is getting one hell of a steal!
    Asking $22,000
    - Jonathan

So I think - that's really odd. And I look at the photo and it appears to be taken in a fire station (ya think the Dalmatian is a dead giveaway?) So I reach out to the guy and ask for the backstory on it - and said "Don't sell your bike, let the ADV Rider community help out - we can raise the money you need, tell me the story". And he comes back to me with this ...

"Seriously. In shock. I'm used to the brotherhood and camaraderie from the firehouse, but from adv, never expected this...wow. Truly am humbled. So the story goes, a brother of mine from Fire Academy went into respiratory arrest after a fire a week or so ago in the BX, woke up, and then was knocked out again into an induced coma for a few days with a chest tube. He just recently bought a house and car for him and his wife (who's a teacher). I was worried for awhile there, because in NYC for new fireman, police officers, and EMT's/Paramedics, anyone injured on the job is no longer eligible for what was known as 3/4 benefits. The new number is less than 1/2, and as new fireman, earning less than half of nothing is still nothing to get disability benefits from. Was truly afraid they may try and push my brother fireman off the job with these abysmal benefits. But thankfully, it looks like they're not going to push him out. He was released from the hospital this last Tuesday, I spoke with him today, and it appears he is doing much better. Going to the medical office this coming week but if all goes well which it appears it will, he's going to make a full recovery!!!!! So as much as your generous offers for donations are appreciated, it appears they are not necessary at this time. But they do not go unnoticed, and I'm seriously sitting at my computer with my jaw on the floor at all of your good hearts and kindness. I wish nothing but good things and good karma for ALL of you!! Now...as for selling the bike. I'm torn. I love this beautiful beast! Amazing bike to ride, by far the best I've ever owned/ridden. But what happens if someone does need my help. I'll be stretched too thin for comfort, that's my worry. Alas that is life I guess so I will enjoy one day at a time for now and see what happens! If anyone has words of wisdom, they would be much appreciated! - Jonathan"

So we convinced him to keep the bike and I told Jonathan that if things get tough for his buddy - there are people that can help. Fast forward to last week, and look what I got in the mail from Jonathan. Some very cool swag from his engine company in New York City with a note on how appreciative he was that I was willing to help. I was so surprised! Here's what he sent me:

How cool is that? I spend a little time looking up their fire station, and they are in the Upper West Side of NYC, in this building:

And a thought comes up. I'd like to do something decent for these guys, just because its Christmas. No other reason, and I'm sure there are better 'causes' out there, but this is what I wanted to do. I also lost an acquaintance back in the Twin Tower collapse, Joe Maloney, Ladder 3 who died trying to save people in the 09/11 attacks (it's the actual Ladder 3 truck that was lowered into the 09/11 Memorial and on display). So I decided I'd send up a brand new Bradington Young leather recliner for the men of Engine 74 to use in their down time. I don't know what they have to relax in, but I doubt its anything really nice. I just happened to have one of these in a box, and it happens to be one of my favorite recliners because its fits a lot of people well. The 4017 Wisner...

I put a post out to ADV Rider asking if anyone was passing through Washington DC headed to NYC and could personally deliver it. That would save me $ 200 shipping it, but I didn't get any takers so I'll probably just freight it up later this week. However I did get $ 355 in contributory donations from the guys - which surprised me as I hadn't asked for money. Some helped out with just $ 5, others more, and I did appreciate that generosity in helping to share the expense. I think it makes for a nice gesture, and says to those brave men who run into burning buildings when other are running out - We Appreciate What You Do. Jonathan's selflessness in being willing to sell his new motorcycle to help a pal inspired me, and I hope i will inspire some of YOU who read this to maybe find a little something extra-ordinary to do for someone else this Christmas. Give a little back when you can, in any small way. I hope they are surprised at Engine 74 and I hope they use it so much they flat wear it out.

Happy Holidays.....
    Last edited by drcollie; 12-08-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: A Little Christmas Story...

Duane, great story. You are indeed a fine man. My wife and I would like to be part of this gift in only in a small way. The check is in the mail. Let's do it again next year.:

Merry Christmas to you and yours
    Larry and Anna

Thank you Larry, your card and contribution arrived today! That was very kind of you. I plan to ship the recliner on Wednesday as soon as the rain holds off enough for me to grab it out of my storage facility with my pickup truck.
    Duane Collie

Wonderful story - thanks for sharing.

On the way to NYC today....shipper will pick it up today.

Duane Collie

I hope those firemen don't go at that package with an ax or the jaws of life or some other tool that will tear that beautiful recliner apart. Maybe you should send some unpacking instructions to Jonathan.

Larry

Delivered on Friday, this from Jon today.....

DUANE!!!!

Your kind words and Generosity are too much! The new recliner sits in 74's House Watch like it was specifically built to be there! I'll include a picture! How serendipitous, the recliner we had for years crapped out on us about two weeks ago. We've been in the market. It's like you KNEW! It's nice to know I have a friend outside the FD in Delmarva! Used to be a Prince Georges County, MD fireman before I came back to the big apple while I was in college. Would love to ride with you this coming season, let's set something up! As for FDNY Swag, everyone involved, please let me know T-shirt sizes and I'll send shirts and more stickers/patches your way.

With so much gratitude,

Jonathan
    Duane Collie

Wow! Not much space in the place....I should have sent a wall-hugger unit!

I'm glad to bring a little Christmas cheer to one Fire House in the Bronx....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141212_150228_zpseeb1f3ec.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	6695

Jon writes me:

I can't say enough how kind this was of you Duane, and all involved!! The guys at the firehouse can't stop talking about our new House Watch Recliner, and how nice it was for that "internet club" of big adventure bikers to send it! I'm blessed to be a part of such an amazing rider community, and so glad I stumbled across this page!! May God Bless You and sending good rider karma to all of you, and Duane for his kind heart and thoughtfulness!!
    Duane Collie