Thread: Expensive lesson learned:(

marys1000 Guest

Default Expensive lesson learned:(

I was rushed when looking for a specific chair (see link). It has arrived and while it is what I bought so I can't complain - but it isn't good for me or what I wanted. So while shopping is confusing here are lessons learned:

Sit in the exact model you buy!

Don't Rush!

I bought a power recliner version of a stationary rocker that they had on the floor.
    The rocker version was too high for me but we figured the recliner would sit lower. It doesn't. It might be even higher and my feet don't touch the floor.

I bought the chair I did because it did not seem to have the gap between back and seat when reclined that the other models did. But the power recliner has the same if not bigger gap! Not good for laying in! This is the think that upsets me the most. I HATE IT when the bottom cushion doesn't fit go back under the bottom of the back cushion. How I overlooked this I don't know. It bugs me enormously.

I'm wondering if this chair is really a motorized a tilt back? Yes it has a foot pad that comes up. But the "power recliner" (1) doesn't really recline that far and (2) is the only power recliner I saw in looking at 4 different stores, lots of brands, that has a LEVER on the inside between the arm and seat - like tilt backs.
    Most power recliners have had the attached coil remote thing but are moving to a more sightly flat depressable button on the outside or inside of chair. This lever concept seems outdated and there are sure going to be wear issues!

I do like how wide it is which is another of the reasons I chose a style I didn't like over other styles I did that were too narrow to curl up in. It is however also too deep as well as to high. After reclining I have to push myself back up the chair to lay down - which I won't be able to do with my surgery. Nor can I get out of it easily. So the whole reason for buying right now it is not happening and I'm going to struggle through my recovery.
    My other option was a uglier no kidding recliner for 1000.00 less that would have suited my purposes better.

The recliner thing is surely a trade off. Do you want a good looking chair that reclines or a recliner? Because the good looking chair that reclines is not quite the same thing.
    through my surgery, then I'll sell it at a big loss. Ugh.

So I rushed and bought a really expensive BY chair I didn't like the style of to get features I didn't actually get and doesn't fit me and is not comfortable. Its on me, my fault. Sometimes more expensive is not better and you really need to see exactly what your buying on the floor. I'm not that well off but like quality things and this was a really expensive lesson learned for me.

The leather and workmanship (other than the lever thing) is nice though for all you shoppers of BY.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...recliner/page2

Default Re: Expensive lesson learned:(

All motion pieces have a 'gap' between the seat back and seat cushion when reclined, its unavoidable due to the nature of a recliner piece. Wall huggers do it more than conventional recliners as the wall hugger piece has to move forward in order to recline -so the seat is going to the front. I don't know what model you bought, but it sounds like a wall hugger. Why would you expect the recliner variant to sit lower than the rocker? I've never even heard of that one....yes, levers are done in between the seat and arm its called an Inside Release (PI). You could have ordered the outside power unit like the remote on a coil (PR) at no charge, the dealer just has to put in the code. The default if no code is entered is PI. If you are truly unhappy with the chair contact your selling dealer and ask if they will allow you to swap it for something they have already in inventory - most stores will do that for you.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

marys1000 Guest

Default Re: Expensive lesson learned:(

That bit of info about wall huggers having the gap? That is a pretty important piece of info I did not have. It bothers me enormously and I won't be in this apt with its narrow living room forever. I would have opted to wait on a recliner, or buy a cheapie that I got rid of when I moved and bought something nice to fit whatever house I retire to.
    None of sales associates mentioned this not even when I complained about it in a Smith brothers chair that was a wall hugger. To be fair most places don't have (m)any wall huggers on the floor.

I liked my sales associate but she did not know about the lever. We assumed it was either the coil thing or a button. She was the one that noticed that my feet didn't touch very well in the rocker and she was the one that said, maybe the power model is closer to the floor. Since my toes at least touched I thought fine I can deal with it. But I think the recliner might actually be higher. She may have assumed that a rocker needed room to rock, at least that's what I would have thought too.

They don't have any wall huggers on the floor. Were it not for the surgery I might try to swap it for a regular recliner as I don't normally recline as I find this chair quite uncomfortable just to sit in. The back is too far forward if you don't have it reclined just a little which puts the footrest up in the way.
    (I have a tilt back leather chair now I find very comfy to sit in but don't use the tilt back).

I appreciate you chiming in. But I didn't have the time necessary to bump into all these little bits of facts and info that never seem to be laid out at the start all in one go. No one thinks to mention them. Rushed the decision and screwed myself. I really don't like this chair at all other than the width of the seat and the t-cushion. I do like that and it is hard to find.

Thanks for this forum and the info.