Thread: Need to choose a Leather before I make myself nuts!

Darcie Guest

Smile Need to choose a Leather before I make myself nuts!

Hi! I am hoping to finalize my leather option soon so that I can order and stop overthinking my City sectional!!! What are your favorite browns??? Probably leaning toward protected leather...
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Need to choose a Leather before I make myself nuts!

If you are leaning towards a protected leather, then my first choice would be Columbia Butternut. It is a nice brown color and happens to be a semi-aniline leather. A great feel to it!

HA! The leather quagmire...with over 400 hides to choose from I have seen PLENTY of folks get bogged down on selection many times. Remember a 'Protected' leather is simply a painted leather. Don't get too hung up on that word 'Protected' because it does not mean the leather has an armor top-coating on it.

A quick list of my favs by price grade:

Grade 1: Columbia
    Grade 2: Atticus, Aspen, Angelo
    Grade 3: Any of the Burnished Hides, Weston, Equestrian
    Grade 4: Arizona, Capri, Quintessence
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Darcie Guest

HAHA! Thanks I have narrowed it down at least but am by no means finished decision making...Here is what we narrowed it to...

Gr 1 - Columbia Molasses
    Gr 1 - Hutton Bark
    Gr 2 - Bismark Tobacco
    AAAAND...wait for it...
    Gr 4 - Quintessence Sable, Capri Tobacco, and Quintessence Bark

I really am soooooo torn. We have 2 kids (4) and (8). We don't abuse our furniture but certainly live on it. I don't want to be concerned about the leather and want the kids to be kids but really do love the feel of the Grade 4's. I don't want to have regrets about not getting a better leather or buying too "fragile" of one. UGH!!!

I say with the little ones, perhaps skip the Grade 4's....buy those when they are off to college lest they stain the hides with a spill. The rest are all good....
    Duane Collie

Darcie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I say with the little ones, perhaps skip the Grade 4's....buy those when they are off to college lest they stain the hides with a spill. The rest are all good....
    Thanks Duane,

I was afraid that was the answer!!! Any other suggestions aside from the ones that I listed? Keeping in mind that the Quintessence is my dream?!?! Thoughts on which of the below are better? Is there an aniline out there that you could suggest? I really love the idea of dyed and not painted. Also, just out of curiosity, if one was to order from your store rather than online but then have it shipped is the price different? I live about 4-5 hrs away so technically could drive there to place the order but would still need it shipped. Last but not least, I have seen some mention of a 5% discount in February...is that a yearly thing do you know?

Gr 1 - Columbia Molasses
    Gr 1 - Hutton Bark
    Gr 2 - Bismark Tobacco

Again, I thank you for this forum...I am learning a TON!

A lot depends on your lifestyle. I have Quintessence on my office chair at home, but then again I'm not 4 years old with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in it! Kids will be kids, and you would likely get a stain in the hide at some point that may or may not come out.

The Equestrian series is one tough hide and its aniline, and also any of the hand-antiqued and burnished hides, likewise. They have proven to be very durable and can take a lot of abuse while not being a painted leather.

Yes, I have two different price structures at my store, one for local and one for distance delivery. I'm paying the freight for local pieces to arrive and you are paying for it on distance delivery. Its usually about a wash - however anything picked up from my store, or delivered, in the State of Virginia will have a 6% sales tax added on. So if you were coming in from out-of-state it won't pay to make the drive, better to go distance delivery.

Yes, H&M has had a 5 off sale every February since I have been a dealer, I expect no difference this year as well. Town and Country items are never included as they are already discounted in the promo.
    Duane Collie