Thread: Comparable Quality manufacturing

legalmom Guest

Default Comparable Quality manufacturing

I had water damage in my basement and the insurance company will give me replacement value for the sectional. The problem is, I bought the six piece set (each piece is individual and a footstool) from Broyhill in 1992. Obviously, there are no 6 piece sectionals available in todays manufacturers .
    Items that my old sectional had:
    1. The cushions are foam and wrapped before placing in the upholstery.
    2. Cushions (both back and seat) are removable and can be flipped. (and there is no degradation of the cushions, they’re still comfy)
    3. Frame is solid hardwood and solid. I can't twist it. I really can’t tell if it’s doweled, glued, mortised, or what. I have not ripped the upholstery off to examine in detail.

What I loved about the sectional:
    1. That I could rearrange the furniture by myself. I could lift each seat individually, and just slide the corner wedge into position.
    2. The seats were smaller and fit our family size.
    3. That I could have 4 seats on one leg and have a true “L” arrangement.
    4. That it is still comfortable to sit in.

What I dislike about my sectional:
    1. The fabric was pretty, expensive and the smooth material was not for growing kids. ( They’re now adults)

I did mention that I have replacement coverage. I have been shopping, researching and learning for the past 6 months. The Broyhill sectionals do not appear to be as well made today as they were 20 years ago. I am will to go the sofa/loveseat/chair route, but finding all the requirements from my old sectional has proven difficult. I did find a Smith Brothers sofa, chairs and ottoman that appear to be made similarly to my old Broyhill, but the price is significantly higher than current Broyhill sectionals. I need to know where to go to find information to convinve the insurance company that I’m not being unreasonable.

Default Re: Comparable Quality manufacturing

I'm curious about "Replacement Value" ...is that the amount of money it would take to replace with comparable age / condition(prior to the water damage)? ...or is that today's cost of purchasing new but comparable seating?

legalmom Guest

There's no "depreciation". It's the cost of buying a sectional today with same quality. I should have also stated that the old sectional had curved backs around each chair so you were "separated" from the person sitting next to you.

What I would do is shop three brands and three configurations you would be happy to own, and get a written price quote from three dealers, and have a variance from the high/low of no more than 20 %. The submit all three bids quotes and let them average out the cost and cut you a check for that. They are not going to get into the build of the old unit all that much - just stay reasonable in your requests and selections. They may price against a current Broyhill in a mid-grade fabrics and use that as a benchmark too. The insurance company has a vested interest in keeping you happy as a customer, so they likely won't take advantage of you if you don't try to put one over on them. At least that's been my experience. Don't wait for them to make you and offer, tell them what YOU want and have the supporting documentation to back it up.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.