Thread: Leather Furniture - I Need Major Advice

MrGreen Guest

Exclamation Leather Furniture - I Need Major Advice

Ok...so here is the deal.

As a bachelor for the last 5 years, my only piece of sitting furniture is a inexpensive leather couch. Because I am self-employed I spend a lot of time sitting on my cheapo couch doing work. Fast-forward to now and I am stuck with a crappy couch and no clue about what to buy.

I went to Homemakers Furniture today and the salesman went on the hard press for the Flexsteel - Latitudes Couch/Love Seat or Sectional set. He even said "This is the one I am buying myself, I plan on having it for 18 years." Not only does the black dye have a faded and greenish tone, but the information I have found online claims the Latitudes line is something to avoid, as it is assembled in China and does not have the blue coil or whatever you call it. (Sorry it is pretty late.)

So after reading a bunch of other info, I am pretty lost. The only thing I can say for certain is people like H&M couches...

I want either a leather couch/sectional that is quality and will stand the test of time. The Latitudes Sectional would be 4-5K depending on how large I want it to be, and it just seems that there might be better options available.

I basically just need some advice about what kind of black leather sofas/sectionals I should be looking at. I am 24, with no children living in a small condo currently, but could move really at any time.

I know this is long, rambling and probably makes little sense. But any help you can provide would be really awesome.

I had one order of Flexsteel Lattitudes (100% made in China) come in my store and have to say it left me underwhelmed to say the least. I no longer carry Flexsteel, and when I did I only sold Lattitudes by customer request. That's a pretty good sales pitch though I wonder why he's only planning to keep it 18 years, not 17 or 19? <g>

Read the forum, see what people like and dislike. Also, its helpful to know what budget you are shopping in. H&M Town and Country promo (which is posted here on the LEATHER forum) is really hard to beat from any maker on price/quality.

Sectionals? Bradington Young has a few sectional in promo that are 3x the quality of Flexsteel Lattitudes and priced around $ 3,500 before shipping. Its all USA made though the leather is coming from a Chinese tannery on those deals. H&M sectionals won't be in that price range.

DO NOT buy any upholstery that is sold as ByCast or BiCast or "Engineered" leather. Its not really leather at all, but a chemical product made from leather scraps. You will see that come up in mainstream furniture stores that are looking to sell at a price point. Most all the pieces at Costco and Sam's Club, etc. are made from this as well.

If you get a quality leather sofa or sectional, then keep it out of direct sunlight and clean it periodically (every 3 to 6 months), it will last you until your're ready for your AARP membership card.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

MrGreen Guest

Hey Duane, thanks for the response. I at least feel like I am on the road to solution now lol...so the B&Y sectionals - which ones are in the 'promo?' I live in Iowa and only have 1 major fine furniture dealer near me.

Well, it's a starting point! This is going to date me in years, but I have a B-Y sofa in my house (my very first leather purchase) that's as old as you are, and we still use it every day in the media room. Its not even close to being 'used up' but it does show the wear and tear of raising two kids with it as the family room sofa.

There is only one B-Y Sectional on that Married Cover promotion, its the 727-91 / 727-92 unit and comes in one leather/two colorways at that price, cover 9828-89. and 9828-89 (both mid-tone browns). Price is $ 3,360 plus shipping in that deal. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.bradington-young.com/deta...SX&pid=7270000

I've had this in the store and sold it not too long ago. Deep sitting, good back angles. Leather is cut and sewn in China and is decent considering the price point, soft and supple, a finished leather.

I notice you say want black leather. There is not much demand for black leather (except in office chairs) so none of these makers put black on promo for sectionals and sofas. If you can use the browns and buy into these deal programs, it will save you a fair amount. That same sectional jumps to $ 4,830 in a black leather (Starting Grade leather in B-Y) when we do it from hides made up in NC. That's a $ 1,470 in price difference - enough to buy a new 42" Flat Panel LDC TV, or get a recliner to go with the sectional.

Shipping to Iowa would run you appx. $ 470 for in-home delivery on a sectional, no sales tax collected.
    Duane Collie

Mr. Green

I own both B-Y leather sectional and H&M leather sofa/chair/ottoman. Both are quality products with the B-Y very comfortable to use in the family room. The H&M has a finer, better quality leather (Antelope grade 3) and there is an elegance in the craftsmanship that is apparent. I would recommend both brands. One note on color, unless you are completely committed to black I would suggest the darker brown tones that Duane has shown. They offer better value and ten years from now if you want to sell the pieces they will certainly be more desirable for a new buyer. Black leather as Duane suggest is usually limited to office or very inexpensive (code for poor quality) pieces.
    Good luck in your search and be sure to close the loop on our forum with information about your decision.
    Last edited by cuse69; 04-18-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: TYPO

MrGreen Guest

Here are some pictures to help you better understand my problem. All of my furniture save for the TV, stand and aquarium is cheap black furniture. And all of the moldings and downstairs blinds are a cheap wood looking thing. And the room is small. This was my bachelor house and it is a condo that is only 1200 Sq Ft total...so to complicate things even more I may be moving at some point in the near future, or I may not, depending mostly on how my business performs.

But as you can see the couch cushion has my ass print permanently indented into it, and I am not a huge guy - under 6 ft, under 200 lbs. It is so uncomfortable. Thats really my only major problem, I am not ready for a complete rehaul until I move and can utilize this cheapo furniture is a media room, or secondary living room.

I need something that wont make my buttcheeks ache after sitting on it for a couple hours in the laptop. Sorry I am rambling, any help, advice or personal experiences appreciated.

Also Duane, please evaluate my couch as if it were a model that were coming into your store, I would LOVE to know your take ahah!

OK, after looking at your photos, what you need is a good woman in your life. This is like bachelor-pad total disaster, but nothing that dumpster out front can't fix. <G>

Your sofa is totally broke down, like an old mattress. Cushions gone, springs shot, looks like even some frame sag. That's actually one of the worst I've ever seen, right up there with one of my customer's sofas who had a dog that literally chewed both arms off the piece. Your existing one is so far gone that I'm not sure if even Salvation Army would want it.

Seeing the room, I think I'd skip the sectional. How wide is that front doorway, anyways? I'm not sure a 2-piece sectional would even fit through the opening. Additionally a Sectional will totally dominate that entire room and close in the space, which is not what you want to do. Finally, a Sectional may limit you in your next home should you move. Go with a standard size sofa, and add in a lounge chair. Less overall cost, more flexibility.
    )
    My picks would be a H&M 8138NB Austin High Back Sofa in the Town and Country program (or the standard size 8134NB Austin sofa) and choose Cavalier Dark Blue, Cavalier Oxblood or Document Chestnut. (Oxblood would be my first pick for your room). Hugely comfortable and built to take heavy use.

Then get the # 2030 Austin Storage Ottoman that has a cool shelf that pulls up and out of the piece to set your laptop on. Perfect not only for working on the computer from the sofa, but also great to recline on from the sofa when watching a movie or a football game.

Finally get one of the Austin chairs (Stationary, or Tilt Back) to round out the group. The Ottoman can be used at either the sofa or the chair.
    Duane Collie