Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with L-shaped H&M sectional choice

lynarthur Guest

Default Re: Help with L-shaped H&M sectional choice

We are back to a sectional. After looking at the various sofa/loveseat combinations there is going to likely be some overlap of the arms of any larger loveseat with the sofa. It seems like the best way to get seating for 5 will be a sectional in a similar layout to what we have, but hopefully with a bit smaller footprint. The City looks like a good option but we are looking at others as long as we can get them in a 2 seat/3 seat plus corner configuration.

Order from my store by 03/03/15 and you can get 10% off if done by then. We revert to the regular price after that and the next H&M sale period won't be until August.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

lynarthur Guest

We are very aware of the sale. We had been just reading the site to get information but hadn't planned on buying until later in the year and accelerated that plan when we saw the announcement. You already ordered the leather samples for us (all Capri) and hopefully we'll get them soon. We will probably have to bug you one more time to confirm some specific widths and wall space requirements on a couple sectional models in a 5 seat (2 left, 3 right) configuration. We'll ask those questions in a separate thread. And then we can get a price quote or 2 and order. Based on our frequent reading of the site that sounds like the process we should go through. Can't wait to see what a 5 seat sectional costs in Capri, though we think we have a pretty good guesstimate.

There may be some sticker shock, but remember H&M is top line American made and Capri is fantastic leather. The old adage 'you get what you pay for' is certainly true with this maker and this leather choice.

Any H&M leather sectional in a GR 4 hide will be in the 5-digits on price....
    Duane Collie

lynarthur Guest

We weren't sure what we could post on price but we figured it would have to be in the five figure range for a sectional in Capri. But we try to have a philosophy of it isn't the dollars that matter, it is dollars per use (and we spend lots of time in this room). One more question, are there big differences in pricing between the City, Journey, and September sectionals in a 2 seats Left, 3 seats Right configuration (like $2k or more). Based on what was previously posted, it sounds like the City in an L-shape will be least expensive and the City and other 2 models in 3 piece configurations should be closer to each other in price. If we go with the City we will want to add nail heads like they have on the other 2 styles so that will add to the cost as well. We know coming up with price quotes is a bit of work so we want to narrow it down to 2 before getting into a detailed price request. This forum has been such a help - thank you.

Looking at your current considerations and the measurements of the room, as well as your desired number of useful seats, I am still wondering why you aren't considering the City 9839 and 9840. Those would give you more placement flexibility and more useful seating. It is possible that the inside width of the loveseat doesn't give you the room to stretch out, but I still think it would be comfortable. The depth of these City styles would allow for no overlap and thus room for a shared table and an end table at the room entry point to the left of the larger Sofa. Take one more look at the City Sectional seating vs. the two pieces that I have referenced. There is no way you are going to get five people (with the exception of young children) sitting in the City Sectional ...The other two Sectionals maybe.

As far as pricing of your sectional choices, I believe the City to be the least costly while the Journey is on the upper end.
    Last edited by wisejd; 02-18-2015 at 07:43 AM.

The sectionals are close enough in prices that to pick one style over another for best value probably isn't worth it. The 3-piece sectionals will always be more than a 2-piece unit, because they are building three frames instead of two. There you will see a noticeable cost difference. While I can't post my actual selling prices here, what I can do is put out MSRP prices (which of course no one sells at and maybe you might want cut in half to give you something of a rough idea of 'real world' costs). In GR 4 leather:

City 9840LAC / 9840 RAF (2-piece, L Shaped, 2 seats left / 3 seat right): $ 22,410

Journey 1723 LAQ / 1724 RAW (2-piece, round corner, 2 seats left / 3 seat right): $ 28,395

Journey and City are NOT available in 3-piece variants, nor is the September.

To add nail trim on a City Sectional at MSRP is $ 600.

There is a big difference in both visual presence and how they sit between a City and Journey sectional, the former is neat and squared away, the latter is a big boy piece that is all about comfort.
    Duane Collie

lynarthur Guest

Once you are in the 5 figure range for a piece of furniture, trying for value seems pretty silly. We are looking for comfort and so would prefer the Journey but let me see if I understand the measurements based on what you explained earlier. The 2 seat side is listed as needing 102" of wall space (current sectional is 108" so no problem fitting). For the 3 seat side we take the sofa inside width of 64", plus one arm (87 total width - 64 inside width= 23 arm width /2= 11.5" for one arm), plus the depth of the sofa 42". That adds up to about 118" or so, but from the picture I'd guess that the corner wedge makes the sofa a little deeper than 42"...maybe another 6-8". So the 3 seat side is around 124-126" (current sectional is 135", so again no problem fitting)...did I get that right? If so, it seems like what we are looking for - comfortable seating for my wife and I to stretch out but also room to seat up to 5 people. And it costs more than my first 2 cars...together! It is pretty funny because what started our interest in a leather sectional was seeing one at Costco and our research has taken us a long way from there.

Yes, pretty much correct on the math. There's an easier way, though if you know the 2 seater side is 102", just add 23" to it - presto! 125" (+/-). Am extra seat in most any sofa or loveseat adds 23" for most brands.

Costco = McDonalds' Dollar Menu
    Hancock & Moore in GR 4 = Morton's Steak House
    Duane Collie