Thread: Duane, does this look like a crappy 8 way hand tied job to you?

Johnny Z Guest

Default Duane, does this look like a crappy 8 way hand tied job to you?

I'm thinking about buying a 8 way hand tied loveseat from a local custom furniture place, and this is a pic of a 8 way hand tied piece they said they did and put up on their instagram page. Your thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8way.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	6949

Default Re: Duane, does this look like a crappy 8 way hand tied job to you?

The springs and ties look good, the webbing is a bit different and needs to be extremely firm and tight to prevent sag. That I cannot tell from the photo...typically that kind of webbing is a cotton / nylon blend and may stretch. More commonly used in premium furniture is a very tight, drum-skin like material with reinforced steel bands, which this does not have. A suspension is only as good as the weakest component.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Johnny Z Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The springs and ties look good, the webbing is a bit different and needs to be extremely firm and tight to prevent sag. That I cannot tell from the photo...typically that kind of webbing is a cotton / nylon blend and may stretch. More commonly used in premium furniture is a very tight, drum-skin like material with reinforced steel bands, which this does not have. A suspension is only as good as the weakest component.
    I have no idea what this means. But is that something that can only be added before the whole hand tying process? I mean is it possible this pic was taken like right after just finish tying process and he adds that stuff later.

The webbing is the foundation for the springs, its what they ride atop. It has to be stiff, and stapled to a equally stiff frame. If the webbing is soft or prone to stretch, then the piece will sag as you sit on it as it ages. Springs go atop the webbing, so its not added later. Its what you see UNDER the springs.

This is the best way to do it. Notice the material under the springs looks like drum skin? And the frame is solid hardwood? This is top-of-the-line construction. The springs of course, have not been fully tied in this photo but you can see they are pinch-clamped to the webbing. A piece made like the one in this photo will last several decades without degrading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	6950
    Duane Collie

Johnny Z Guest

What exactly is that gray drumlike fabric called? I'm going to ask him if he can use it at no extra upcharge

I don't think that's going to be a good tactic. His first response will be "That guy on the internet doesn't know what he's talking about", and we don't need to go there. Secondly, I'm a dealer, not a manufacturer, so I don't know the brand name or even generic name of that material for you to request. Finally asking someone to change their build to suit you is akin to going to the Ford dealer and asking them for a Chevy engine in your new F-150 - you will get a cool reception at best. Better to move to a different maker rather than seeking to convince an existing one to change their component standards.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-26-2015 at 10:37 AM.
    Duane Collie

Johnny Z Guest

What are your thoughts on alder hardwood over maple for the frame? I know it's obviously cheaper for him because google says it's the softest of hardwoods and dents easier. However is it durable enough to last like 10 years? And strong enough to warrant bringing it in for reupholstery in like 5 years if i want a different fabric.
    Last edited by Johnny Z; 02-27-2015 at 02:11 AM.

Sorry, I've no experience with Alder, to my knowledge none of the furniture I have carried as a dealer has ever used it.
    Duane Collie