Thread: Lamps. Help with quality and bang for my buck

shweebies Guest

Default Lamps. Help with quality and bang for my buck

I want to buy a new pair of lamps and I admit I don't know much about brands of lamps. Can someone tell me brands that are good quality and that would have a decent resale value if I decide to change them in the next decade or so? I know about Frederick Cooper but that is about it.

Thanks!

Default Re: Lamps. Help with quality and bang for my buck

Chapman is an excellent and very expensive option, but with a very high resale value. Definitely heirloom quality. Visual comfort is probably my favorite lamp manufacturer, and slightly less expensive than Chapman. Finally, I would look for vintage Stiffel lamps. You can find a good number on Craigslist and eBay.

I don't know about re-sale, but I tend to like Wildwood, which is the parent company and owner of Frederick Cooper. Good lamps are not inexpensive.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I would not anticipate that a lamp is going to have much resale value unless it's a genuine collector's item.

scone Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shweebies View Post
    I want to buy a new pair of lamps and I admit I don't know much about brands of lamps. Can someone tell me brands that are good quality and that would have a decent resale value if I decide to change them in the next decade or so? I know about Frederick Cooper but that is about it.

Thanks!
    I've been happy with my two Robert Abbey lamps. Decent quality for the price, made in USA, and very well packed. However, you are not going to get a lot of "resale value" on a 10 year old, mass manufactured lamp. Try to buy classic styles in classic colors, so you don't have to get rid of them.