Thread: Looking for comfortable good quality chair

nietza Guest

Default Looking for comfortable good quality chair

I have been searching for a super comfortable chair/ottoman or recliner, cloth not leather, for in front of my fireplace. I have been having trouble finding one and was wondering if I could get recommendations. I have tried out a lot so far. Some cheap and some expensive. The problem I am having is that the most comfortable ones I have found have been cheaper, both in price and quality, but I don't want to buy something that won't last. What brands out there combine super comfort with quality?

Default Re: Looking for comfortable good quality chair

What is Comfort? Is a 4'10" 98 lb woman going to be as comfortable in a particular model chair as a 6' 3" 375 lb man? I had both of those folks in my store this past Saturday and sold them both a recliner, but we had to get the right one for each of them. Not one size fits all, and even after we narrow down a frame choice, there are pitch angles and cushion density firmness variances that mean one person likes it, the other doesn't. So there is a bit of a quandary in recommending something, because what I find comfortable for myself, may not suit you at all. While its fairly easy to predict longevity based on construction standards used in a build, the only way you will really find comfort is to try them out for yourself.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

nietza Guest

Thank you for your reply. I want something really soft and cushy. I have tried out a lot of chairs in the Northern Virginia area, to include some at the Keeping Room. The ones I found the most comfortable were also the cheapest (Franklin - $300; Southern Motion - $600). So, I thought I might be missing something like options that would make a chair more comfortable or a particular brand that is known for being comfortable. I have been really surprised at how uncomfortable expensive chairs are.

You may be using the term "comfort" in conjunction with lack of any suspension. If you want a 'sinking' feeling in a chair, that's a chair that has little to no support suspension, which is what you will find in a $ 300 to $ 600 unit. Better units will always have a good suspension to support you when you sit in it, and therefore you will not fall down into the chair, but rather sit on it, not in it. You can always go do a 100 % Down and Feathers cushion which will give you the most cush on a top flight suspension, but even with that a quality chair will be more supportive than a cheap one when you keep going down into the unit. Good luck with your search!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

fairy8i8 Guest

Just set your expectations accurately. If you really prefer the cheaper chair, you can get it, but do so with the expectation that you will need to replace it in 1-5 years (mostly luck of the draw, maybe wear factored in there somewhere). Also, the comfortable ones now will get more saggy with time, so again, just expect to replace it sooner. There is nothing inherently wrong with preferring the soft feel of a cheaper product, it is just that you have to adjust your expectations for longevity. $15 IKEA chairs lasted 6 months in my house (don't believe their hype on testing for longevity). Finally, after finding this forum, I bought a dining set on Craigslist from an estate sale - $50 for 8 chairs and a table, and they are way more solid and will actually last while I save up for my dream table and chairs.

dizzy Guest

i recently bought a great fabric comfortable chair with cushioned neck rest for complete comfort.Frame is made of metal tubes of thickness around 0.8mm with powder coating.Back and seat are adjustable as per ones requirement.i am quite happy with it