Thread: Drop-in coil springs

wifeoferp Guest

Default Drop-in coil springs

I am sure this has been addressed before, but the search engine only seems to pull up outside websites for me.
    Can anyone please tell more about the drop-in coil spring system. Why is it inferior to eight-way hand-tied? Is it better or worse than sinuous spring as related to both durability and comfort?

Thanks!

Default Re: Drop-in coil springs

The reason your were taken out to the internet for your search is because you were not signed in as a forum member when you did the search. That's a fluke of the V.Bulletin forum software, to search within the forum itself you MUST be signed in as a member (which is free, of course).

A drop-in spring grid is inferior as it has no webbing for base support, its self supporting or rides on a few metal cross strap bands The unit is wholly self-contained and is simply screwed to the frame of the furniture. It 'floats' in the frame and has lots of metal to metal contact (this can cause squeaking down the road as the oils evaporate off the metal and surface rust tends to form). They are fast to install, and relatively inexpensive. This photo off the Smith Bros of Indiana web site:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drop in.jpg 
Views:	1734 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	7039

An 8-way Spring Set up is more costly to build and takes more time to make. Here each spring rides independent of the other, but are tied in with the strings to work in unison and is supported by drum-type webbing at the base. Look at the time it takes to do a simple old chair correctly. The Hancock and Moore procedure is even at a higher level than shown here:

https://youtu.be/jFWjBx4Zc8Q
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

wifeoferp Guest

thanks Duane--

A drop-in spring grid is inferior as it has no webbing for base support, its self supporting or rides on a few metal cross strap bands The unit is wholly self-contained and is simply screwed to the frame of the furniture. It 'floats' in the frame and has lots of metal to metal contact (this can cause squeaking down the road as the oils evaporate off the metal and surface rust tends to form). They are fast to install, and relatively inexpensive.

Any thoughts on how long down the road it would take for the squeaking to occur? I am looking for a sofa that will last approximately ten years or so. Our current Bernhardt sofa, with sinuous springs is still in great shape (after 12 years) from a comfort perspective, although after five kids the fabric is ready to be refreshed. However, with five kids, I can't be out of a sofa for two months waiting for it to be recovered, and also with five kids we are looking to get two matching sofas which will seat more of us. I can get more for the money with a maker who uses drop ins,but would rather pay more for eight-way hand-tied if the drop-in will be squeaking in just a few years.

Angry Re: Drop-in coil springs

Hello Duane! This is my first reply since subscribing to the Forum.

We have a loveseat that is approx 15-20 years old we got second-hand. I'm in the process of repairing the drop-in coil springs...discovering the nightmare that it is YUK!

This is the interior of the seat, and a close-up of two of the rigid metal wires that support it. The result is the left side has fallen down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-06-06_14-26-59.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	15613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230606_101331.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	15612

I hope these are viewable.

Any suggestions how to repair this so we can continue using the drop=in??

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't have any advice for that kind of unit, I don't carry drop-in spring system pieces in my store so I have no experience with them. Maybe ask an upholsterer in your area?
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.