Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Qualux cushion density - H&M

feinmaster Guest

Default Re: Qualux cushion density - H&M

My husband has a bad back and wants a rather firm cushion. I have been doing lots of research and I am considering a Hancock and Moore. We do not want any down or feathers.

My question has to do with foam density. I read the attachment provided on this forum about H and M cushions and see it describe the Qualux seat cushion. I read the following about H and M cushions from a different forum:

"the foam core found in the standard, Ultra Down and Spring Down comes in two densities: 2.6 (standard) and 3.1 (extra firm). I don't know what the units of measure are, but it's all about how 'dense' the foam is."

Is it true that the Qualux cushions come in two densities? Any comments how firm the "extra-firm" cushion feels?

Thanks!

Correct, the cushions can be ordered in 'extra firm' at no additional charge. My experience is that more customers regret ordering the extra firm, than think its a plus. I've had several customers pay for standard cushion inserts on a reorder after they get their 'extra firms' delivered. H&M won't swap them out, you have to pay for the second set (that's a Dept of Health Regulation actually). I would be hesitant to order them myself. Depending on the piece, some you can order 'extra full' which will give more bolster but not be as hard. H&M springs the deck well, so sometimes bad back issues come not from foam density but from sitting on upholstery that has a poor spring system. If the springs are lousy the cushion won't help.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

feinmaster Guest

Great information!

Just to clarify: Did you mean that on certain models they can bolster an extra-firm cushion core so that it does not feel quite so hard? Hmmm..... do you have the various cushions, including the extra-firm, on display at your store?

Thanks!

You can have 'extra-firm' or 'extra-full'. There is a difference. Extra-firm means the cushion itself is more rigid and it has a difference core weight. Extra-full means they add a bit of wrapping to the standard cushion to completely fill the cushion space on certain models (such as bustle backs).

I have several pieces on the floor of H&M, but only standard cushions and Ultra down cores. I will not order extra firms for floor stock as there is not much demand for it, perhaps one customer a year requests it.
    Duane Collie

yogi Guest

Approximately how much would a set of standard core's cost for an H&M Journey Sofa? $100? $200?

$ 82.50 per seat in Qualux, plus UPS charges. Backs are Fiber Plush and sell for the same price.
    Duane Collie

Joe Cast Guest

I have a great Hancock and moore sofa and loveseat. They are 10 years old and are giving me back problems. I cannot remember them giving me back problems when new. Maybe I was younger and did not suffer from back issue like today. Do these cushions go soft with use and age? Can I replace them with stronger ones? I am not certain of which cushions they are, I only have the model # of the H&Ms.
    Thanks

Joe,

If you are the original owner of the H&M pieces you can get new core inserts at no charge. At 10 years of age, I do see some in need of replacement, and if their is a depression in the middle of the cushion they're certainly due. And you're 10 years older now, so your back is aging and what you liked when they were new and what you like now may be different. I'd suggest you ask for +1 Firmness in your replacement cores, they seem to work better for folks with back issues, as you don't sink in them as much and they make the pieces easier to get in and out of. They will definitely be firmer however, so you won't get the 'sink' that you do with the standards.

If you have cushions that are removable, then its a simple matter to unzip the casing and pull the old one out and install the new one. When you get the new cores, you will say "They shipped me the wrong ones, these are way too large". But they aren't, they'll fit in there but it takes some arm power to get them in. While you're struggling with that, know that the guy who does it for a living at H&M does a casing install in less than 10 seconds <G>

Contact your selling dealer with your model number and your request for cores. It will cost you nothing, not even the shipping charges. That's why H&M is a classy company, they will take care of you even 10 years after the sale. If your selling dealer is no longer around, or unwilling to do this for you or wants to charge you for them, PM me off list and I'll help you get them.

This offer for core replacement is for the original owner only, if you bought the pieces used you will have to pay for replacements.
    Duane Collie

Joe Cast Guest

Thanks Duane! I called my retailer and my salesman did not know what I was talking about. He said he would call H&M and would call me back. The order has been placed and i will be getting the cores shipped directly.
    I used to use the Lackawanna leather wipes to clean the leather but they are no longer available. What Does H&M recommend now?

Excellent...they should have the cores to you in about 3 weeks (the have to be custom made).

H&M recommends either plain soap and water (like Ivory bar soap) or Leather Magic products (what I use on my leather furniture) and sell at the store.

www.leathermagic.com
    Duane Collie