Default Re: Hancock & Moore, Bradington-Young Warranty Policy

Current H&M Warranty Sept 2021

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warranty.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	14050
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane, I've been reading your posted warranty info and a bit confused, hoping you can clarify something. We have a Journey Lounger purchased in May 2020 and it has started to squeak a lot upon reclining and again when returning to upright, on the left side. Also the seat back has play in it. It is my husbands chair and he sits in it a lot but he's not a big guy. We suspect the mechanism, but honestly don't know. The warranty I printed off at the time of registration states: If the mechanism fails after the first year up to 5 years of retail purchase, then Hancock & Moore will send a mechanism to the authorized dealer at no additional charge, pay the freight on the new mechanism and pay a reasonable installation fee not to exceed $75.00.

Your updated warranty from 2021 is different and seems to indicate that they may not even honor a replacement mechanism if it does not meet certain criteria. Which warranty would be in effect on the 2020 purchase? And who decides if we can order a replacement mechanism at no cost to us? I have not contacted the dealer, I think they would probably balk at sending someone out to look at it after three years (but I will call them regardless). We would be fine to pay for the install if that's what's needed.

Thanks for your input. Really glad to hear you are back and feeling better.

Squeaks can be a loose bolt where the mechanism attaches to the frame, Flip the chair over on its side and check tightness of the fasteners (that's not a warranty item). Looseness in the back does not mean failure of the mechanism necessarily. When mechs fail, the recliner is tilted towards one size OR the unit no longer reclines.

H&M only covers the costs to install for the first year of the warranty, and only a "reasonable charge" which in Hickory NC is $ 75 or so. and they send the mechanism free of charge. Year two through five, they send out a replacement mech only, no labor charges included.

One important thing to note is furniture warranties are not like car warranties. The clock starts the day it is shipped, not the day you take possession of it. On floor models buys, if that unit has been sitting in the showroom for a year, that first year is already gone on the warranty. Also, other dealers are not required to service your warranty on your behalf, that burden is on the selling dealer.

Determination of warranty is shared by the Selling Dealer and H&M both. Usually there are few issues, most are pretty cut and dried.
    Duane Collie

I knew you would offer some insight, thanks! It was a floor model purchased when Covid was closing everything down, so we felt fortunate to get it. The paper attached has a date of Oct 2018, so this is the last year of warranty. We did turn it on it's side and he tightened the fastener a bit, it might have helped a little. We can call the dealer and ask if they have someone who can come out to look at it. Edited, we did call the dealer and they gave us the name of an independent service tech who works with them and said they would order the mechanism if needed but H&M might require photos to determine who would pay for it. Thanks again
    Last edited by MJS20; 07-27-2023 at 01:24 PM.

Duane, a tech came out to look at the recliner, charged for wd-40 and filling the back cushion, but did not fix the squeaking. It leans to the left and that is where the noise is coming from, the right side seems ok. Do we request (from the dealer) the side of the mechanism that is faulty or is the whole thing replaced? Never done this before, thanks.

Generally speaking, if a recliner is leaning to either the left or the right, the mechanism usually has to be replaced. They cannot be repaired and there are not subcomponents to replace, it is the entire mechanism. Contact your selling dealer to discuss and get a full assessment.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-10-2023 at 03:45 PM.
    Duane Collie

Ok, that helped. The one side issue threw me off, but it makes sense that the whole thing needs replacing. The dealer is going to order it, so hoping it fixes the problem.